Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Window with stone kitchen bench used as the sil

Page 1 of 1
I have a question. If you were to have a kitchen window where the stone benchtop ran up to the window frame how would you install the window relative to the benchtop?

The reason I ask is my kitchen window has been done like this, but what it looks like the builder has done is removed the timber reveal from the bottom of the window, with the window frame sitting on the stone benchtop. The reveals on the top and both sides are still present and I gather what is holding it in.

The reason I have looked into how it has been done in my place is I have had some movement with the window frame (it is set in Hardies cladding) and the caulking on the inside has come away revealing the stone going under the aluminium frame of the window. The dishwasher is under this window, so by removing the dishwasher I was able to look over to the top of the cabinetry to see the stone goes all the way under the frame and meets the cladding.

Is this the normal way of doing it?

Until I looked I had assumed that the window had been put in place in the normal fashion with the stone benchtop going in over the top of the window window reveal. But not the case in my place.
We have a window where the stone is continuous through the window with no sill.

Yes, we all supply windows for bathrooms which may have a note "no bottom reveal" so that the tiles or whatever can run into the reveal cavity.

Maybe you window needs more support at the jambs, talk to your builder. By the way the sill is never fastened to the frame.
Thanks for that, most interesting.

One extra question if I may when you do a window where the frame sits on the stone where do you attached the sill flashing?

In my case one of the reasons I was surprised the timber reveal had been removed is during the build the window initially had the reveal. So either they have swapped the window out when they did the kitchen or that’s when they removed the reveal. And my question about the flashing is because I can see through a hole in the back of the dishwasher where the stone and the cladding meets and there is no sign of a flashing.
AJW
Thanks for that, most interesting.

One extra question if I may when you do a window where the frame sits on the stone where do you attached the sill flashing?

In my case one of the reasons I was surprised the timber reveal had been removed is during the build the window initially had the reveal. So either they have swapped the window out when they did the kitchen or that’s when they removed the reveal. And my question about the flashing is because I can see through a hole in the back of the dishwasher where the stone and the cladding meets and there is no sign of a flashing.

That would be up to the builder, so without seeing the actual detail I can't say. But it would need to have flashing.
Related
30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

14/06/2023
Gooseneck tap in front of kitchen window

Kitchen Corner

that will depend on the kitchen bench depth. you'll have to specify it so it allows for both the tap and the sink

7/05/2023
Facade column size (350 or 470mm) , Rendering or Stone or Ti

Building A New House

Dear Members I have to decide the Facade column size. My custom builder standard is 350mm with rendering, but i asked for 470mm plus stone or tiles and yet to get…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum