Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

External window sill

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We have a balustrade on the first floor in front of a large sliding door

This was however built with two flaws: firstly there is no external window sill, just a horizontal, rendered face. Secondly the bottom bracket of the balustrade is a continuous channel, hence leaves, dirt water get trapped between the house wall and the balustrade.
The rendered space between the wall and balustrade has wide cracks and moisture is getting into the overhanging part above the garage door.

I want to retrofit a window/door sill and alter the bottom brackets of the balustrade so that any water and debris can run off.

I can’t find window sills (UPVC or Aluminium) to retrofit at all.

Is this not a thing in AUS or am I just blind?
Or am I searching for the wrong term (external window sill/cill)?

Many thanks!

Maybe search for flashings?

You will have to get one custom made.
Just search up custom flashings in your area and you should be able to get one made.
The cheapest option will be a colourbond steel flashing but you can certainly get an aluminium flashing bent up and powder coated to suit.
karcher.cc
Hi,

We have a balustrade on the first floor in front of a large sliding door

This was however built with two flaws: firstly there is no external window sill, just a horizontal, rendered face. Secondly the bottom bracket of the balustrade is a continuous channel, hence leaves, dirt water get trapped between the house wall and the balustrade.
The rendered space between the wall and balustrade has wide cracks and moisture is getting into the overhanging part above the garage door.

I want to retrofit a window/door sill and alter the bottom brackets of the balustrade so that any water and debris can run off.

I can’t find window sills (UPVC or Aluminium) to retrofit at all.

Is this not a thing in AUS or am I just blind?
Or am I searching for the wrong term (external window sill/cill)?

Many thanks!

We normally refer to this as a "Z" flashing. They are custom fabricated to suit in Colorbond material.

There is no reason why you balustrade needs to be continuously attached to the floor, in fact you can have a gap underneath of up to 125mm.
Related
31/01/2024
Building defect - sill flashing under window on concrete sla

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

There doesn't look to be any rebate in the slab to prevent water from scooting under the window. AS4654 is the Australian standard to look at/refer to. They have…

15/05/2023
Screed bonding agent for external applications

Flooring & Floor Covering

Before you rip it up, if you can in the grout lines, drill some holes and pour/inject techgrip by sika. I have used it to bond mdf to timber, but in the process it dripped…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum