Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Door Issue

Page 1 of 1
Hi everone, just need an honest opinion. We have just been moved to a new property and this door was installed by our builder.

The concern here is the gap between the door frames. When there is direct sunlight, u can see the light coming through it and its annoying.

Builder said its normal and within the specifications. Even the person from corinthian door has visited and found this within specifications but we find it really uneasy and when its sunny outside, u can see the light visible.

Any thoughts on this.

annoying it is
Go to Bunnings, spend about $5 on a roll of foam backing for draft proofing doors. Problem solved.
That is terrible
Double doors should have a proper Door Rebate
hth
StructuralBIMGuy
That is terrible
hth

Agree, and what about when it is cold and windy?
StructuralBIMGuy
That is terrible
hth

They did provide a strip on outside but I am not sure this is what u r talking about. Sorry for being a nob.

Also see the gap at bottom.
brokenstick
StructuralBIMGuy
That is terrible
hth

Agree, and what about when it is cold and windy?

That was the whole point. I didnt see any of the door gap like this any where. Dust comes in too frequently.
So is there a strip like that on the outside, and you are still seeing light though??
brokenstick
So is there a strip like that on the outside, and you are still seeing light though??

Yes. There is a strip outside and I can still see the light through. This is what it looks like when its bad weather.

Also gap on the top and bottom

libran_59
StructuralBIMGuy
That is terrible
hth

They did provide a strip on outside but I am not sure this is what u r talking about. Sorry for being a nob.

That is a mushroom stop, for whatever reason it's not working.. complain.
ECOECO
libran_59
StructuralBIMGuy
That is terrible
hth

That is a mushroom stop, for whatever reason it's not working.. complain.

Yeah, thats what I am having a word with them. This door doesnt look right like this. Paid nearly $1900 as an upgrade for same. I could have gone outside and get a better one installed.

Even the guy from corninthan doors said it is within limitations and u can go to bunnings and get some kind of seal to get it fixed. I mean r u serious. This is not my problem. Builder should have had a look and get it fixed. I can feel the wind coming ftom that gap. Imagine all the dust and other stuff.
Libran_59
Good Quality Timber doors usually come/installed with the internal edge rebates?
$1900 ouch
Its hard to tell from the photo but I'd guess the doors are also warped?
BTW it usually gets worse over time.. they will need to be replaced
LOL a door strip won't fix that, nor will buck passing between the door suppliers<->2nd Fixer<->Builder
The gap is not acceptable and there is a need to keep the weather out, it will not meet performance requirements of NCC and the energy report. ECO ECO is right, mushroom stop will fix it and the builder should fix it. Is there a display home?
building-expert
The gap is not acceptable and there is a need to keep the weather out, it will not meet performance requirements of NCC and the energy report. ECO ECO is right, mushroom stop will fix it and the builder should fix it. Is there a display home?

Hi there,

Thank you for your opinion as well. I know this door doesn't look like a perfect door. Has been adjusted 4-5 times by the builder, still an ugly looking one. We can feel the wind and dust and all sort of stuff from this gap.

Builder construction supervisor has been through and advised its in limitation. People from corinthian door has been through and advised that gap is 1mil and within the range but we are still not satisfied. Is this how you give a perfect door to the customer.

We have been to different displays but cant see any gaps with the light coming through. Have been to our friend places and their doors look perfectly fine with minimal gap and perfectly aligned with all the weatherproof stuff going in there
StructuralBIMGuy
@Libran_59
Good Quality Timber doors usually come/installed with the internal edge rebates?
$1900 ouch
Its hard to tell from the photo but I'd guess the doors are also warped?
BTW it usually gets worse over time.. they will need to be replaced
LOL a door strip won't fix that, nor will buck passing between the door suppliers<->2nd Fixer<->Builder

I know, this door doesnt look like a good quality timber door. The gap is one issue, there is another issue at the front with a line visible through as well.

Painter apparently filled it up and left it like that. Whenthe guy from the door company came in, he said these doors are engineered doors and will have this kind of issue, but the painter would have done the better job by staining it as well.

But the question is why would we have to get this door fixed or rectified. We paid for $1900 for this and this should be a perfect one.

Try as I may I don't see $1900
So if I do the quick approx. math (although it may be tool late now.. Caveat Emptor
Here
At best Original doors are worth $300 (Hardware,Fitting,Painting, included)
Just the doors alone
Upgrade Corinthian Doors 820 x 2340 x 40mm Blonde Oak AWO 5 Entrance Door
$900 new doors-$300 original doors =$600 upgrade variation,
$1900-$600=$1300 profit to the builder?
Unfortunately, it appearsto me in the images the builder didn't pay any more for the Fitting and Painting
and you got the installation and finishes for a pr of $300 cheap doors... IMO, door rebates are worth the extra
OT LOL Bunnings could have installed a A Corithian door Better?
Door Installation?
You need to do your homework before you enact variations, that is my point
libran_59
Hi everone, just need an honest opinion. We have just been moved to a new property and this door was installed by our builder.

The concern here is the gap between the door frames. When there is direct sunlight, u can see the light coming through it and its annoying.

Builder said its normal and within the specifications. Even the person from corinthian door has visited and found this within specifications but we find it really uneasy and when its sunny outside, u can see the light visible.

Any thoughts on this.

To be fair... and I think yours is 2340? They could have had the doors rebated rather than the mushroom stop. I think new doors are in order, maybe they didn't seal the bottom edge too... also that panel is broken.

You will find a strip outside attach it to the door so that sunlight will not enter inside. This can help you.
Related
26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum