Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

A&L awning windows with very restricted opening

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,
I’ve already used the search function, but couldn’t find an answer to this. Hopefully I haven’t doubled up!

We’re currently building and our builder uses A&L windows. Ours our double-glazed. Awning was the only option because of this.

When wound open, they seem extremely restricted compared to what we’d expected, and a major disappointment compared to the openness of sash windows.

We understand there is SOME limit of the opening capacity of an awning, but this is far less than we’ve previously had in other houses.

Googling tells us that some brands of awning window are able to be adjusted by removing the winder and flicking a switch on the back of the winder unit.

Can anyone please tell us if this is a universal thing. Will it work for us?

Fingers crossed! Or it’s going to be a very stuffy house! 😐
We have double glazed awning window from same company and builder and face same issues.
I have not hunted for any fix unfortunately.
We have them and if you unscrew the winder mechanism there is a restricter screw on the bottom that you can adjust to wind them out further.
I hope it does not void the product warranty if something happens on a windy day. Need to check PDS if that is user adjustable.
sunrays
I hope it does not void the product warranty if something happens on a windy day. Need to check PDS if that is user adjustable.

Nothing to do with warranty - they have a restricter adjustment for 2nd storey installation due to safety regulations.
Old Bloke

Nothing to do with warranty - they have a restricter adjustment for 2nd storey installation due to safety regulations.

Yes, I was told the same for all our upstairs windows where the bottom ledge is lower than 1.7m (my windows are not awnings). To prevent kids falling out. Apparently some homeowners just remove the restrictor screw after inspection...

Old Bloke
We have them and if you unscrew the winder mechanism there is a restricter screw on the bottom that you can adjust to wind them out further.

Great news! This is exactly what we were hoping for. Thank you!!!
EmmaK8
Old Bloke

Great news! This is exactly what we were hoping for. Thank you!!!

Hi Emma

Were you able to find the restricted screw? I've just moved into my new build with A&L awning windows recessed into bricks so no breeze whatsoever 😫

A&L were here today fixing one of the windows & noticed the little black area with their logo on the top of the mechanism to the right of the winder was taken off & the window was opening wider than normal.

I can't figure out how to remove this little piece, it has a little hole in it but putting the end of a paper clip in the hole isn't releasing the cap.

Thanks in advance anyone that has an idea on this 🙌
Hey, sorry for the delayed reply! It is something to do with that...I saw our site supervisor change one of them...but I can’t remember how he got it off!

A and L are coming back again to do the rest, so I’ll pay more attention next time and let you know!
I have the same winders with the plate and hole, I removed the plate by inserting a bent nail and pulling. Unfortunately the chains are very short, so already at their limit even though the windows only open a couple of inches.
I guess I would have to replace the whole winder to get it to open more more, which is easily enough done
If you use a very small Phillips head screwdriver in the small hole on the right of the A&L plate on the top of the winder and push into the hole about 10mm or so, the plate will pop up as it has a spring underneath it. It will just pop up a little bit so that you can get the plate out. You can then see the winder chain out towards the outside of the house. Wind the window out almost as far as you can and you will see the end of the chain which has a small metal tab pointing in towards the inside of the house. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to push this metal tab in towards the chain and it will stay in. You can then wind the window out to the widest opening.

Snap the cover back on and you’re done.

Obviously don’t do this on any window that is high enough off the ground to need the restrictor by law.
JamieHC
If you use a very small Phillips head screwdriver in the small hole on the right of the A&L plate on the top of the winder and push into the hole about 10mm or so, the plate will pop up as it has a spring underneath it. It will just pop up a little bit so that you can get the plate out. You can then see the wonder chain out towards the outside of the house. Wind the window out almost as far as you can and you will see the end of the chain which has a small metal tab pointing in towards the inside of the house. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to push this metal tab in towards the chain and it will stay in. You can then wind the window out to the widest opening.

Obviously don’t do this on any window that is high enough off the ground to need the restrictor by law.

Perfect! Thank you so much Jamie, that's it! 😄
No problems!
JamieHC
If you use a very small Phillips head screwdriver in the small hole on the right of the A&L plate on the top of the winder and push into the hole about 10mm or so, the plate will pop up as it has a spring underneath it. It will just pop up a little bit so that you can get the plate out. You can then see the winder chain out towards the outside of the house. Wind the window out almost as far as you can and you will see the end of the chain which has a small metal tab pointing in towards the inside of the house. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to push this metal tab in towards the chain and it will stay in. You can then wind the window out to the widest opening.

This worked perfectly. The question I have now is how to reset the little tab back to the restriction position? The reason I want to be able to open these windows wider is for window cleaning, then when I'm done cleaning the window I want to put the restrictor back in position.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wanted to help others who might come across this while Googling (like I did). Thankfully the tips in the posts above worked perfectly on my A&L awning windows from a new house built in 2023. The small plate in the top of the winder allows you to access the restriction tab quite easily, without unscrewing anything. You just need a paperclip and then a pen or screwdriver to adjust the tab – takes less than a minute.

I actually filmed a short video to show how it's done, in case it's useful for anyone in future. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=302-nUUJR00
thanks simonDIY - reading about how to do it is one thing.. and seeing it being done is another.
You just made my life easier and increased my cross ventilation !!
Legend ! thanks again.
SimonDIY
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wanted to help others who might come across this while Googling (like I did). Thankfully the tips in the posts above worked perfectly on my A&L awning windows from a new house built in 2023. The small plate in the top of the winder allows you to access the restriction tab quite easily, without unscrewing anything. You just need a paperclip and then a pen or screwdriver to adjust the tab – takes less than a minute.

I actually filmed a short video to show how it's done, in case it's useful for anyone in future. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=302-nUUJR00

Excellent instructional video....
Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum