Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Double glazing

Page 1 of 1
I had double glazing put in because I live behind noisy shops they put in 4mm toughened glass with 6.5mm hap hush glass should this reduce noise or was it a complete waste of money $2000 do you think I should take them to consumer protection thanks
Andy7575
I had double glazing put in because I live behind noisy shops they put in 4mm toughened glass with 6.5mm hap hush glass should this reduce noise or was it a complete waste of money $2000 do you think I should take them to consumer protection thanks

Did it not lessen the noise?
arcadelt
Andy7575

Did it not lessen the noise?

No but they said they forgot to put gaskets around the weep holes in the window will this fix the outside noise problem once the gaskets are fitted they said there's about four small rubber gaskets
Andy7575
No but they said they forgot to put gaskets around the weep holes in the window will this fix the outside noise problem once the gaskets are fitted they said there's about four small rubber gaskets

Get them to put in the gaskets and then decide.
arcadelt
Andy7575

Should this window of lessoned the noise
Andy7575
arcadelt
Andy7575

Should this window of lessoned the noise

And does weep holes in double glazed windows have gaskets or are they just making excuses
So let me get this right - you have one pane of 4mm glass and another of 6.5mm glass. How big is the gap between? Double-glazing for noise is better when there is a bigger gap, but a smaller gaps for temperature insulation.
Andy7575
And does weep holes in double glazed windows have gaskets or are they just making excuses

Well, any hole will let through sound.
arcadelt
So let me get this right - you have one pane of 4mm glass and another of 6.5mm glass. How big is the gap between? Double-glazing for noise is better when there is a bigger gap, but a smaller gaps for temperature insulation.

They said there is only a 6.5mm gap now would this be worth $2000 in your opinion
arcadelt

It's toughness glass 4mm thick both sides with an 8 mm gap between the double glazing
Andy7575
It's toughness glass 4mm thick both sides with an 8 mm gap between the double glazing

So what was the reference to "with 6.5mm hap hush glass" in the original post?
Have a read of this.
arcadelt
Andy7575

I meant 6.5 mm hush glass with 4 mm toughened glass they said they fitted acoustics to it and they said the problem of the noise coming in thru the weep holes which they are fixing Friday 8 mm gap between double glazing
Andy7575
arcadelt
Andy7575

I meant 6.5 mm hush glass with 4 mm toughened glass they said they fitted acoustics to it and they said the problem of the noise coming in thru the weep holes which they are fixing Friday 8 mm gap between double and how can you tell if you have acoustic glass or notglazing
Andy7575

If you have it in writing that this would reduce your noise problem, it is their problem and you should expect a result.

But it is quite likely that noise was coming into your home from other places too, like walls, the ceiling and gaps between the window and house frame.

The thickness of the glass makes the biggest difference. The gap is almost irrelevant (yes, I know what they say). Similarly, laminated glass makes a small difference only.

Ed
Double glazing can make reduce some noise,but it is hard for it to reduce too much noise
sophie123 that would depend on the specs upon order placement, I had the same issue when ordering mine, I wanted a decent Rw rating to reduce as much noise as possible (I'm a light sleeper) so went through all the variable glass widths and gas space widths.
My only problem now is to prove the Rw reduction which was claimed and paid for.
Our windows are all laboratory tested... our standard double glazed window achieves Rw 35 and this can be upgraded to Rw 39.

These have been placed in projects with acoustic engineers reports which specify the likes of 12.38mm & 10.38mm glass, and have been measured in situ by the engineers and achieve the test results.

Glass is part of the solution, well designed, well-sealed windows are the other part. Without a test certificate, you really don't know what the result will be.

BTW our standard aluminium window is also the most energy efficient aluminium window in Australia... and carries a wind rating of N4 for an awning window, 2400 x 2400...

My guess is we will be 30% cheaper than any equivalent window.
ECOECO
Our windows are all laboratory tested... our standard double glazed window achieves Rw 35 and this can be upgraded to Rw 39.

These have been placed in projects with acoustic engineers reports which specify the likes of 12.38mm & 10.38mm glass, and have been measured in situ by the engineers and achieve the test results.

Glass is part of the solution, well designed, well-sealed windows are the other part. Without a test certificate, you really don't know what the result will be.

BTW our standard aluminium window is also the most energy efficient aluminium window in Australia... and carries a wind rating of N4 for an awning window, 2400 x 2400...

My guess is we will be 30% cheaper than any equivalent window.

hey mate, do you have any suppliers in sydney that you could recommend for double glazing?

-Rob
Hi
Sorry I don't recommend in Sydney, I am not up to date with the Sydney market.

Thanks
Ed
Related
16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum