I have been provided with 4mm/10mm/4mm double glazing using 18mm dgu. I was told that it's a good spec for residential purpose. I have been quoted a mix of clear float and clear toughened glass.
I was wondering why not all be toughened instead of float as toughened is more stronger and heat resistant. Does anyone know the cost/sqm to upgrade from float to toughened? $8-10/sqm?
I was also thinking if I should upgrade to a thicker glass say 5mm or 6mm. Again not sure how much per sqm for the upgrade from 4 to 6mm. $25-30 per sqm?
Appreciate your responses. Thanks.
[li]Overall cost is $27400 for 30 Windows (70sqm of glass and upgraded frames)
This is on the high side for the windows as a total cost, and I am not talking upgrade. Upgrade of $15k would be in the ballpark.
I felt that the cost is high as well, but I am interested in the cost that needs to be factored in for the single glazing that would have been allowed in the base price.
I checked with the builder and he reckons its between 10 and 12k they estimated for the single glazing, builders range aluminium windows and sliding doors for 36 sq DB house. I was atleast hoping for 14k difference, so we can meet halfway.
My upgraded window and door schedule is below;
Window sizes are as follows;
All are aluminium awning windows and have frame thickness of 55mm and double glazed (4/104 using 18mm DGU argon filled gap) except for the fixed glasses with different glazing and frame thickness
- 1800 x 850w – 7 nos (4/10/4)
- 1200 x 1810s – 3 (4/10/4)
- 1200 x 1450w – 1 (4/8/6.38 translucent Lam I)
- 1200 x 1450w – 1 (4/10/4)
- 1457 x 1810w – 1 (4/10/4)
- 1800 x 2650w – 1 (4/10/4)
- 600 x 3600w – 1 (fixed, not openable, 100mm frame, 5/14/5 using 24mm DGU)
- 600 x 1810w – 1 (fixed, not openable, 100mm frame, 4/16/4 using 24mm DGU)
- 400 x 1400w – 1 (4/8/6.38 translucent Lam I)
- 3000 x 1450w – 1 (fixed, not openable, 100mm frame, 6/12/6 using 24mm sheet bracing)
- 514 x 1810w – 1 (fixed, not openable, 55mm frame)
- 400 x 1810w – 1 (fixed , not openable, 4/8/6.38 translucent Lam I)
- 1200 x 850w – 1 (4/8/6.38 translucent Lam I)
- 514 x 2650w – 1 (fixed, not openable ,55mm frame)
- 1200 x 2050w – 1 (4/10/4)
- 1200 x 610w – 1 (4/8/6.38 translucent Lam I)
- 1200 x 3300w – 1 (4/10/4)
- 1200 x 2050w – 1 (4/10/4)
[color=#222222][size=100]Sliding Doors sizes as follows; [/size][/color]
All sliding doors double glazed (4/10/4 , using 18mm DGU argon filled gap)
- 2100 x 3300w – 1 (3 door aluminium stacker boutique sliding door with d handle, frame thickness 111 mm, 4/10/4)
- 2100 x 2400w – 1 (3 door aluminium stacker boutique sliding door with D handle, frame thickness of 111 mm, 4/10/4)
- 2100 x 1450w – 1 (2 door aluminium sliding door, frame thickness of 101 mm, 4/10/4)
- 2100 x 2733w – 1 (2 doors fixed, 1 door sliding, frame thickness of 101 mm, 4/10/4)
So the overall cost of the above windows and sliding door (approx 70 sqm of glass) comes to $27400 inc GST, of which the builder is absorbing roughly $10 to 12k leaving me with a difference of approx $15400 to $17400.
Is $17.5k a reasonable upgrade price to to go from single glazed builders range aluminium window (frame thickness: 38mm), sliding door (frame thickness: 80mm) to double glazed and upgraded frame size (min. 55mm for windows and min. 101mm for door) as above?
if not how much would be a reasonable upgrade to pay?
Appreciate your response, as it would help me with a win - win outcome which is usually rare when you are not owner building. lol.
I am unable to do a quotation to compare with your prices, it takes a lot of detailed work.
In my opinion what you are being asked for is in the ballpark.
I think negotiation is your best outcome.