Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Replacing Hollow core with Solid core

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
due the combination of kids and football we now have a hole in a hollow core door and considering its a bedroom I am thinking its a good opportunity to switch to a solid core door to reduce noise transmission, improve feel etc.

The door is a standard hollow core pre hung flush panel door from Corinthian. The concern I have with replacing it with a solid core door is whether the heavier weight of the solid core door is too much for the frame.

The frame is a standard door frame by a volume builder. Not being a chippy I don't know whether a standard frame is built for the load of a solid core door or whether any more timber is needed.

I am trying to find photos of the frame to compare this door frame with solid core doors in other parts of the house but in the meantime I am wondering if anybody could help me.

Obviously I don't want to put the door on and find out the hard way the frame isn't up to it.

Appreciate any guidance anybody can give.

Thanks,
Ronan
groags
Hi all,
due the combination of kids and football we now have a hole in a hollow core door and considering its a bedroom I am thinking its a good opportunity to switch to a solid core door to reduce noise transmission, improve feel etc.

The door is a standard hollow core pre hung flush panel door from Corinthian. The concern I have with replacing it with a solid core door is whether the heavier weight of the solid core door is too much for the frame.

The frame is a standard door frame by a volume builder. Not being a chippy I don't know whether a standard frame is built for the load of a solid core door or whether any more timber is needed.

I am trying to find photos of the frame to compare this door frame with solid core doors in other parts of the house but in the meantime I am wondering if anybody could help me.

Obviously I don't want to put the door on and find out the hard way the frame isn't up to it.

Appreciate any guidance anybody can give.

Thanks,
Ronan
Our frames were the same for our solid core amd hollow core doors im our build. Just the solid core doos were humg on 3 hinges not two.

You can use longer screws so it bites into the timber frame rather than just the mdf(?) door jamb.

Also use 3x ball bearing hinges so it will never require maintenance.

Related
10/09/2023
Hollow sounding new Hybrid flooring.

Renovation + Home Improvement

ShaneG We have been doing heaps of hybrid floors lately. The hollowness is caused by low spots in the slab or subfloor. No slab or particleboard floor is going to be…

5/02/2024
Terra mater - Resiplank Rigid core hybrid flooring

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hello all, I am thinking of getting my flooring replaced with Hybrid flooring. I visited some shops(only reputed ones, for better service and warranty). So far i liked…

18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum