Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

energy rating for windows

Page 1 of 1
I am a carpenter an have the skills and tooling of a traditional joiner as well.
About 20 years ago I demolished an old house and built a new federation style weatherboard for myself in its place.
I made all the windows myself prior to demolishing the house so they would be ready to go.
I have just bought a 7 year old house in the country and want to add a sunroom.
I would like to make the windows again using double glazed units in timber sashes.
I would make them casement style and use rubber seals where necessary.
Is this allowed now days in relation to the thermal,wind and water penetration requirement of the window energy rating scheme,and would I get a building permit with these windows not officially rated or do I have to go buy inferior quality,stapled together cheap as chips rated windows mass produced and put together by semi skilled assemblers?
You could get them privately certified.
oldchippy
I am a carpenter an have the skills and tooling of a traditional joiner as well.
About 20 years ago I demolished an old house and built a new federation style weatherboard for myself in its place.
I made all the windows myself prior to demolishing the house so they would be ready to go.
I have just bought a 7 year old house in the country and want to add a sunroom.
I would like to make the windows again using double glazed units in timber sashes.
I would make them casement style and use rubber seals where necessary.
Is this allowed now days in relation to the thermal,wind and water penetration requirement of the window energy rating scheme,and would I get a building permit with these windows not officially rated or do I have to go buy inferior quality,stapled together cheap as chips rated windows mass produced and put together by semi skilled assemblers?

Bespoke windows are permitted. Just make sure you follow AS1288 for glass.
Related
23/04/2024
How to qualify for 6-star energy rating (pre NCC 2022)

Building A New House

10 years ago was a different software than we use now. it has had a lot of changes over the past years. Improvments to the software and changes to how Nathers models need…

9/05/2023
what to add for energy efficiency building volume home

Eco Living

go upvc window frames ensure insulation under colorbond. not just sarking, lighter color roof also not sure if you have seen this viewtopic.php?t=5823 last couple of pages…

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum