Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Has anyone used A&L Windows?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I'm a newbie to the site and looking for some advice. I'm building my own house and my contract was originally with Sekisui Homes who then sold out to Burbank Homes six months ago.We were assured by Burbank that that all would be fine and we would be getting the quality house we had signed up for.

Yesterday I was told by Burbank Homes that they had changed the supplier of my windows from Dowell to A&L Windows citing problems with product availability as the reason why. Having seen the reviews of A&L Windows online, I'm now concerned that the real reason for the change was to cut costs and I'm going to be stuck with an inferior product.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks
We are getting A&L Windows for our build. Can't comment on the quality yet but they seem like one of the major suppliers used by a number of builders, so I expect the quality is pretty standard

We have A&L windows, although the windows themselves were fine their delivery driver was not. We ended up with dented scratched and bent windows. Also very slow with the delivery. Most of our brick work was done before they arrived.

Hi
A&L Windows are builders' quality windows, so too are Dowell. There may be a difference or two, but not a lot.

Burbank use A&L exclusively.

Ed
moelhebog
Hi,

I'm a newbie to the site and looking for some advice. I'm building my own house and my contract was originally with Sekisui Homes who then sold out to Burbank Homes six months ago.We were assured by Burbank that that all would be fine and we would be getting the quality house we had signed up for.

Yesterday I was told by Burbank Homes that they had changed the supplier of my windows from Dowell to A&L Windows citing problems with product availability as the reason why. Having seen the reviews of A&L Windows online, I'm now concerned that the real reason for the change was to cut costs and I'm going to be stuck with an inferior product.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

We are building with Porter Davis and are using A&L windows as well.

A & L are slightly cheaper (approx 10%) than trend. Trend's windows run on wheels or ball bearings for a smooth opening where as A & L are a friction slider, so not as smooth but no maintenance.

The worst thing about A & L is they have weird sizing. Your reveals will not be standard which means ready made blinds will not fit in most cases.
I have A&L windows and sliding and stacker doors - boutique range I think - through project builder.
Yes they are used by lots of project builders.

I like my windows and doors.
If you can... go to their showroom and ask questions and see specifically the range that Burbank are installing.

Anyone with A & L Windows, do the safety decals come off easily?
Think it's going to depend whether they are stuck on or imbedded in the glass. Most should be stuck on and you can remove them by gently peeling. Remove any excess stickiness with eucalyptus spray.

Removing these stickers will make your windows/doors non-compliant... be aware.
Hi Gaudi just wondering how much were the boutique stacker doors thank you
Hi Cheyuthie
Mine were bought within buider’s contract in 2015. 3 panel doors. 1 of these is fixed.
Builder has 20-30% markup I’m guessing, so even if I dug out contract probably wouldn’t be helpful for you.
I do like them. But builders sales team told me that AL didn’t have screens so I didn’t add them within contract. This is not correct.

The safety stickers are stickers so would come off. I’ve left the stickers on as good for kids/visitors.

If you do get AL stacker apparently now they install tracks for screen doors to be added later if you wish. I visited AL to look at their fly screens this year as I was considering installing their retractable fly screen.
I’ve gone with freedom screens retractable screen with pet mesh. Love it!! But would have been more secure and likely same price or cheaper to add stacking screen doors with lock if I had the right tracks.
So whatever company you go with, think about if you want a fly screen how will achieve it, what tracks will be required etc
Related
19/07/2023
Feedback requested from anyone that's used Pentablock

Landscape & Garden Design

As title suggests, looking at using the interlocking Pentablock stacked stone products to replace failing timber retaining…

21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

15/04/2024
AllCastle Homes has anyone built in 2023

Building A New House

Hi we are looking to talk to people who have built with them recently. We have signed mid range built contract but identified that a lot of things are not included.…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum