Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Temporary Window Coverings

Page 4 of 5
Fit isn't an issue, if your windows are narrow, you just cut the blinds to size with a Stanley knife. If they're wider, you overlap two blinds (or one and a bit).

Length-wise, you can trim them with scissors - if you have glass doors or long windows, you'll need the longer ones that Bunnings don't sell, so you'll have to ring the supplier in Brisbane for those.
Great find!

Could you overlap two to make a long one? or is it just as easy to do a postal order??

Cheers
Yes, you can overlap them - I had to anyway, even with the wider ones, since some of our windows are quite wide. Ordering over the phone is simple though - and mine arrived within a week.

Here's a night-time pic for Dark Angel:

Thanks so much kek! They look to offer a lot more privacy with the lights on than I would have expected. I'll definitely be getting these when my house is ready.
My sister came to see the house yesterday and didn't even realise they weren't fabric.
Does anyone know how much the redi shades are here in AU and what sizes they come in?
Bunning is selling 2 sizes for redi shades

Can't remember the exact size for the smaller one, but it cost approx $5
The bigger size is 121cm*182cm, cost approx $6.8

claego
Bunning is selling 2 sizes for redi shades

Can't remember the exact size for the smaller one, but it cost approx $5
The bigger size is 121cm*182cm, cost approx $6.8

Excellent, thanks! Now the nightmare of working out how many I need etc
Just letting you I accidentally bumped into the redi-shades in Bunnings Mile end Adelaide and they were a clearance item, both sizes being sold for $2.95, so I got 7 of the big size for my new place. I didn't know how many I needed, but for $3 each I thought a couple extra is better then not enough. I am so excited as I didn't even think of using these, but just ran into them. I'd heard of them though.

Now I don't need to buy curtains for a while after I move in...
I'm trying to work out the puzzle that is redi shades and how many I need - can you use the off cuts on another window? Is there enough sticky stuff and clips to be able to do this?

For example you have two windows that are 60cm wide - instead of buying two red shades, cut one in half to fit and you then have enough clips and sticky stuff for both?
I'm not sure lisanne, but I am hoping that you can do that as I have two small windows and I was going to use half for each. Has anyone here done this?
I emailed the distributor and they said
Quote:
Yes you can use the cut offs for another window, although the shades only
come with two clips in each pack. They are similar to plastic clothes pegs, so
that is an option if you wanted to peg them up.

Sweet, this means that I need 13 of the shorter ones and 6 of the long ones, so with delivery $159 for my whole house!

More than I thought, but still pretty bloody cheap and a lot nicer than sheets!
Great job Lisanne, I know I was excited when I got mine. It cost me under $30, which should cover my entire house (I got each one for $2.95 on special). I don't need to worry about curtains for a while now.

Funny enough no one understood the excitement I had!!!
everyone in our estate once they got in they're houses all had sheets hanging up untill they got they're blinds and curtains. its a cheep and effective way when you just move in
fitnhealthy
Great job Lisanne, I know I was excited when I got mine. It cost me under $30, which should cover my entire house (I got each one for $2.95 on special). I don't need to worry about curtains for a while now.

Wow, where did you get them on special? Don't worry, we here at H1 understand
OK I know this sounds really cheap but I have done it in the last 3 houses - albeit not for very long before the blinds arrived but....On average to small windows, I just used clean new white wrapping paper from the packing. I used blu tack to put it up directly on the glass, you can't see through it and if I want light in I just adjust the paper (moving up or down)to suit. Costs nothing, lasts as long as you want, no marks on the windows or walls, doesnt fall off, and isnt a problem to re cycle it. try it, it works
lisanne
fitnhealthy

Wow, where did you get them on special? Don't worry, we here at H1 understand

Bunnings was clearing them out, bargain... I knew H1 would understand
Can you open sliding windows with redi shades on the glass? Do they fit behind the glass window when you slide it open?
kek
So, after scouring all the local Bunnings stores with no luck, I rang the distributer last week and ordered enough Redi Shade blinds for just about the entire house. $153 for the lot!
Our permanent blinds should be in by Feb, but meanwhile we won't need sheets....

Then today I was in Bunnings, walked around a corner and there was a big box of the things, right in the middle of an aisle. Seems they have a special going on....

Anyway, the price was $5.95 for the shorter ones and I think it was $7.95 for the longer ones. Just in case anyone's looking for them.

Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday.

Thank you to all people who posted in this thread. I called a few Bunnings stores and everyone told me that paper blinds weren't stocked by Bunnings. I thought that I'd just take a look in the Cranbourne store as it was mentioned in this thread and there, at the end of the aisle, were 2 boxes of Redi-Shades - ther shorter ones.

I took one box with 25 blinds in it and am now a happy camper. None of the staff there knew what I had and the staff member at the register and the one standing in the entrance asked me what they were and didn't even know that such a product existed.
Apparently the Bunnings problem is that they are only a promotional item. They can't order them as part of regular stock, so their supply is very limited.

Also, Bunnings only seem to have the 91cm width * 183cm drop in stock.

I've just ordered enough to do the whole front of my house for $62 including delivery directly from the redishade distributors in QLD. They have a 122cm width * 229cm drop available for $14ish (for a twin pack). I'm so excited!! I can't wait for delivery =)
Related
12/03/2024
Window coverings

Window Furnishings

Hi there I'm looking for a independent company for a expert report on my blinds ,sheers & plantation shutters I'm in Melbourne

15/06/2023
Duplexes with Temporary Underground Services

Building A New House

Hi JW I just read your post and I find this situation quite strange. When we build, we get a temp pole for construction which becomes the permanent pole for one of the…

30/09/2023
Temporary bracing for partition wall

General Discussion

Hi all, Not sure if this is a good place for this question but I guess we'll find out! I'm a novice, building a modular room inside my garage/shed and need to create…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum