Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Questions about windows and doors

Page 1 of 1
Please feel free to channel all of your questions to me, even if you aren't buying, if I can help I will.

That is why we are all here...

Ed
Hi Ed. Im having a sliding aluminium window frames issue, the ridge the window slides along is filled with water and windows are water beaded most mornings. Do you know how to stop this?

cooper229
Hi Ed. Im having a sliding aluminium window frames issue, the ridge the window slides along is filled with water and windows are water beaded most mornings. Do you know how to stop this?

Sliding windows have drain holes from the track to the outside to keep the tracks clear. Sometimes these get blocked with leaves.

Hope this helps, if not please post pic of problem.

Thanks
Ed
Ed, thanks for offering your time and expertise. My question, what are your thoughts on the "blinds-between-glass" style of window/door that has the micro Venetian or honeycomb blind in between the 2 panes of the double glazing? Reviews say the blinds and inside of glass get dusty, and aren't very efficient due to no argon - although triple glaze can counteract this but obviously $$$. We are considering this for French doors opening onto alfresco just as a kind of medium/interim barrier rather than the full block out of curtains (but we would have curtains as well). Have found pella brand in the US, see photo of one of theirs.

Cheers

I like them. They won't get dusty, the opposite. There is a Canadian study that shows the energy efficiency INCREASES with internal blinds. I am not sure about moving door panels, as the blinds get some movement too. But we had a sample that was lugged around everywhere even upside down and it always worked well.
Hi Ed,

Regarding bi-fold doors, which, in your opinion is better, top hung or bottom roller?

And can you deliver to Coffs Harbour?
Hi JP
Ours is top hung. Top hung does not suffer from dirty tracks.
Bottom hung does not need a lintel.
Right now we are busy, but you are welcome to arrange transport. Or we can get a quote.
Thanks
Ed
Hi Ed,
What are your thoughts on UPVC double glazed windows? Are they better than aluminium?
Specifically , we are looking at 'VEKA' profiles. Have you heard of this brand ?
It is popular in UK.
Hi,

I have aluminium windows and sliders and a lot of our window frames are very scratch up and dented. The builders are saying they will just fix it, but my inspector is saying as its powder coated they would most likely need to replace otherwise it wouldn't appear like new....
What would be the suggested easy fix that you think the builders will take? My balcony slider is worst then this unfortunately

PEARZ
Hi,

I have aluminium windows and sliders and a lot of our window frames are very scratch up and dented. The builders are saying they will just fix it, but my inspector is saying as its powder coated they would most likely need to replace otherwise it wouldn't appear like new....
What would be the suggested easy fix that you think the builders will take? My balcony slider is worst then this unfortunately

Our dinted frames that we picked were all replaced by our builder. As for scratched we didn't have any so not sure how they would fix them?

Mclaren77
PEARZ
Hi,

Our dinted frames that we picked were all replaced by our builder. As for scratched we didn't have any so not sure how they would fix them?

Thanks, I am going to fight them on this. Wished I had a photo with me for my slider... you would think we have lived in the house for years with the state it was in!

Completely disgusted with how the windows and sliders were treated onsite. Left laying in dirt for nearly 2 weeks with no protection during Melbourne's winter!
JelenaK
Hi Ed,
What are your thoughts on UPVC double glazed windows? Are they better than aluminium?
Specifically , we are looking at 'VEKA' profiles. Have you heard of this brand ?
It is popular in UK.

Hi Jelena
I am rather biased. I started with PVC windows 12 years ago in Australia. We had problems of windows and doors not opening/closing etc. I discovered that the rate of expansion for PVC in heat is huge, and this was the problem for large windows and for dark colours in any size... so I have stopped selling PVC for the last 5 years.

They work well in sizes which are smaller than the norm, and in light colours or white. VEKA is a good brand.

IMO, you can get a similar window for performance in aluminium, with far more rigidity.

What are you needing to achieve in performance.

Thanks
Ed
PEARZ
Mclaren77
PEARZ
Hi,

Thanks, I am going to fight them on this. Wished I had a photo with me for my slider... you would think we have lived in the house for years with the state it was in!

Completely disgusted with how the windows and sliders were treated onsite. Left laying in dirt for nearly 2 weeks with no protection during Melbourne's winter!

Our windows got the same treatment, left on muddy ground, or lent up against the side of the house on an angle

Hi Ed, trying to get our windows sorted for our build. Energy report recommends double glazing to most of our windows (u value of 4.
. My question is will this significantly reduce outside noise coming in, or is there something else we can do/ add to assist with this? Mainly concerned just with noise coming in through bedroom windows.

Also we would like to reduce the amount of heat coming in via a west facing window in our stairwell. Will a grey tint do the job?

Thanks in advance!

Our 37sq Custom Hamptons Inspired Home:
http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=86931
Hi Melanie
Awning with reveals, supply only $186 each plus GST. 8 week lead time. Double glazed.

Thanks
Ed
Dani_J
Hi Ed, trying to get our windows sorted for our build. Energy report recommends double glazing to most of our windows (u value of 4.
. My question is will this significantly reduce outside noise coming in, or is there something else we can do/ add to assist with this? Mainly concerned just with noise coming in through bedroom windows.

Also we would like to reduce the amount of heat coming in via a west facing window in our stairwell. Will a grey tint do the job?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dani,
Sorry for such a late reply.

Double glazing will have a major affect on noise, if you have a choice, choose thicker glass. But the walls and ceiling also need improved insulation for noise, like thicker Gyprock. Our window achieves Rw 34.5, meaning it stops 34.5 dB, check what others claim. Window sealing during installation is also very important.

Tint will help, but Low-E is made for stopping solar heat gain.

Thanks
Ed
ECOECO
Dani_J

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dani,
Sorry for such a late reply.

Double glazing will have a major affect on noise, if you have a choice, choose thicker glass. But the walls and ceiling also need improved insulation for noise, like thicker Gyprock. Our window achieves Rw 34.5, meaning it stops 34.5 dB, check what others claim. Window sealing during installation is also very important.

Tint will help, but Low-E is made for stopping solar heat gain.

Thanks
Ed

Thanks Ed. We are getting acoustic batts and sound check plaster which should help. But I am still concerned about noise transmission through the window, so I will definitely look into thicker glass and the Rw rating!

Hi Ed,
I am going to replace the window in my room, I have chosen Bird Egg Blue for my room wall, So can you please suggest me what is a best window for a room? Actually, I am bit confused.
Hi
Are you asking a colour-blind man for advice on colour??

BTW, is that a timber window? what do you plan to put there?
Related
2/03/2024
Flashing above doors and windows

General Discussion

Flashings over doorways and windows our carpenter has installed flashings that is buckled and short of the window frames and door frames is this right Is there a…

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

16/01/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

I don't know them all, the first 2 top of your list are best known. Rylock is a good company, Stegbar is for sale.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum