Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Filling an internal window

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a repeated thread, I'm sure i can't be the first person with this question but my searches have found nothing for my problem.

We're currently renovating out home, which has a single brick internal wall seperating two living areas. The walls are plastered not drywall and this particular wall has two lovely holes 'cut out' of it like internal windows. Without properly measuring i would guess they're about 90cmx60cm each (and as deep as a brick plus the plaster each side).

I want to fill both these holes as they're pretty ugly IMO and we're trying to modernise the home, my question (finally) is how best to do this? I can find loads on information on filling such holes in drywall walls but not brick/plasterwalls.

My idea was to screw a wooden frame made of trimmed down 4x2 into the holes and place drywall over it so it's flush with the existing wall. I would then use a gap filler and smooth coat to get an even finish and paint etc. From what I've read the drywall tape that is usually used is unlikely to stick to the existing plaster, plus I'm not sure of why it is used and whether it woukd be needed as the existing walls are plaster. I'm partly not sure if a mixed approach of plaster/ drywall is the best, but can't think of any other way to do it.

I'm a reno rookie so sorry if things don't make sense, I do consider myself fairly handy though so with some guidance I'm hoping to get this problem sorted

Thanks in advance for any help.
Would it be hard to re-sheet the whole wall?
Do you mean hang drywall over the existing plaster across the whole wall? With the shape of the wall and the rounded edges it would make that wall too noticeable i think. I would ratherr leave the holes than redo a whole wall. I will try post a picture later today of the wall
You will need to support your structure with some metal beams. Then link your new brick wall to the old brick wall. Then render or plaster the wall.
Related
23/05/2023
Rainwater Tank not filling

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

But if it is a ground level open pit, then it is not a charged system. No surprises there. The pipes have obviously been altered and there would be a reason for this.…

5/12/2023
Rainwater Tanks not filling in light rain

General Discussion

That was always going to be a challenge and a test of patience. Full marks to your mate. Did you discuss the wet area near the trampoline?

15/06/2023
Internal sheeting of shed

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks. Yeh ideally that would have been good, but have progressed too far now. Hoping some well placed internal walls fixed up into the battens will provide some…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum