Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Dark colours cause external doors to warp?

Page 1 of 1
Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with warping of an external door painted in a dark colour?

I just found out that Corinthian won't warrant a door painted dark because of this (see link below page 4)

https://www.corinthian.com.au/Info-Cent ... 315C5.ashx

Just wondering if this has actually occurred to anyone?
Our dark coloured door bows in the afternoon sun making it hard to latch.
oneJohn
Our dark coloured door bows in the afternoon sun making it hard to latch.

Hi oneJohn, thanks for that. How much afternoon sun does your door get? Ours will get about 2 hours, am wondering if that's enough to be a problem.
Ours is a bit south of due-west, so it gets a lot of afternoon sun in summer. The first couple of hours are enough to bend it though, so it probably more comes down to the time of day when the sun gets it. If it's late afternoon, it's probably not such a problem. In our case it hasn't permanently damaged the door either, and goes back to normal after the sun goes off it, so could be a case of re-painting if if it's a problem.
oneJohn
Ours is a bit south of due-west, so it gets a lot of afternoon sun in summer. The first couple of hours are enough to bend it though, so it probably more comes down to the time of day when the sun gets it. If it's late afternoon, it's probably not such a problem. In our case it hasn't permanently damaged the door either, and goes back to normal after the sun goes off it, so could be a case of re-painting if if it's a problem.

It sounds like your orientation is similar to ours. Good to know the door returns to shape though, will have to think about this one. Thanks for sharing!
Had someone I know go with black door facing west in geelong, door absolutely f####ed most the time, I listened and avoided dark door colour, especially black.
I know of about four people who disregarded my advice and the warranty from the door manufacturer who ended up with problems with their dark coloured, North or West facing doors. Three of them warped with the fourth partly delaminating. On a hot day you couldn't put your hand on it.

Stewie
Does this apply to a varnish as well such as "Dark Oak" stain? Our builder actually encouraged us to use it. It was only when we found a sticker on one of the doors that somebody forgot to remove that we learnt that dark colours were to be avoided.
From a heat point of view, it just comes down to colour pretty much. For surface protection, I'd guess that a varnished finish would be worse, given than varnish doesn't tend to protect the timber as well as paint to start with.
Dark coloured doors will absorb UV rays from the sun. When the heat builds up, the door could become distorted. For example, if it’s a wooden door, it may crack and the paint may start to bubble. My family home has a front door that is very dark brown in colour and it has cracked unfortunately.
Related
28/05/2023
Cracking Hebel root cause analysis

General Discussion

How wide are cracks? Can post some photos

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum