Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Question about entry door size

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I got my plans the other day and had a question about our entry door size.

We wanted to go for a 1200 wide door. Our entry hallway was 1500 wide in the original plan, but they only put in a 1020 door.

We've had to make the hallway 1400 now, and we were told we wouldn't be able to go with even a 1020 wide door. Am I somehow missing something? I thought we'd definitely be able to have a 1200 wide door even if it was only 1400 wide for the entryway?

Any help you could give would be appreciated!
JandA_AppinRise
Hi all,

I got my plans the other day and had a question about our entry door size.

We wanted to go for a 1200 wide door. Our entry hallway was 1500 wide in the original plan, but they only put in a 1020 door.

We've had to make the hallway 1400 now, and we were told we wouldn't be able to go with even a 1020 wide door. Am I somehow missing something? I thought we'd definitely be able to have a 1200 wide door even if it was only 1400 wide for the entryway?

Any help you could give would be appreciated!

You need to account for the door frame PLUS the studwork required to mount the door frame too.

So with the 1200 door once you add a frame will be closer 1270-1280, then studwork to hold the frame. This will need to be more substantial to hold a wide pivot door, so your getting close to your 1500. So going smaller hallway not a surprise it cannot be done.
If the entry is recessed in from the surrounding rooms, then you also need to take into account the thickness of brick veneer alongside the door on the outside. That could amount to 150mm each side, plus the width of the door frame.

If this is the case, you may be able to get around it by using cladding instead of brickwork alongside the entry, but that is a much messier solution and the builder won't like it. The entry can also feel tight when the door comes up close to the side wall, so that's something else to factor in.
Yep, apparently I wasn't taking in to account the brick. Oh well, saving money on one less upgrade, I suppose!

Thanks for the answers!
Do you really have to narrow your entrance? Wide entrance doors make a great feature compared to a 920mm door.
Hi Beazley77,

Honestly, I would rather have more space inside my house than a larger-than-standard front door. But my fiance agrees with you about the look (he's the one who wanted the 1200 wide door), so we'll be getting the 1020 one.
Related
23/05/2023
Which entry door pull handle to go for?

Building A New House

Black on light wood does look good. Not sure if it will be as long lasting as a steel finish?

10/03/2024
Fittting Lower Ground entry door/landing in 2200mm of FFL

Renovation + Home Improvement

I am looking to design an entry door to a lower ground basement that has 2200mm between the external entry height to FFL of the ground floor. This door will provide an…

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum