Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Should powder coated aluminium windows rust?

Page 1 of 1
Hi to all,
Have been enjoying this site for many months and have found it very helpful, Thanks!
Haven't joined in much, as our house build has not been at all enjoyable but thought I'd ask this question, have looked but can't find anything on the internet.

Went to the house today and noticed alot of the window frames have rust on them, I didn't think these could rust but it definitely is rust. Alot of the frames are scratched, will this make them rust? Should they rust? what else could it be?
Sorry about saying Rust so many times!

Any answers appreciated.
Thanks,
Kaye.
I wouldnt think so!
I think a big fat NO actually
If they are aluminium windows they cannot rust.

When aluminium corrodes (that is, oxidises) it tuns into aluminium oxide which is clear and inhibits further oxidisation. This is the beauty of aluminium, it doesn't corrode (except if you are near sea water, but even then the corrosion is a clear/white colour).

Iron (steel, etc) on the other hand can rust. Iron oxide is brown in colour and does not provide a protective coating that prevents further oxidation. So if you leave iron/steel exposed to water and air it will turn brown and break down.
Sounds to me that someone has left them stacked under some unpainted steel, and the rust from the steel has stained the powerdercoating on them.
Steve
If it is rust spots on the coated areas, then I'd put my money on some clumsy idiot grinding steel nearby (any large steel beams in your house frame?).

The hot particles will embed themselves in the coating, and also the glass, and then rust when they are in the weather. This happened to my neighbour's windows when he had his extension done. They welded a beam nearby, then got out the grinder to clean it up. The window on the end of the stack began to grow rust on the glass itself!
Thanks everyone, good to get that clarified!

I think it may be like you said, Commodorenut, that's exactly what it looks like! Another thing to raise I guess

Thanks again!!
Related
8/01/2024
How should l remove rust from steel i beams

General Discussion

if l cannot get a sandblaster would a sander with sandpaper be better then a wire brush

2/05/2023
Preventing rust around steel house posts

General Discussion

You’re on the right track, wire brush in a grinder then a zinc rich epoxy primer then a top coat of some sort, like a waterproofing membrane. Raising the concrete would…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum