Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Removal of Jason Sliding Door Bolt Lock

Page 1 of 1
Hi

I recently purchased a house with glass Jason sliding doors. The locking mechanism in the handle is constantly sheering off and I want to remove the handle (and the lock and bolt which is mounted inside the frame) and replace it with a standard sliding door handle and lock with a wall mounted hook type lock. I have other security screens and am not concerned about the security aspect. But my main issue is I can't seem to figure out how to get the lock and bolt out from inside the door casing as I would like to keep the glass and frame and just replace the lock/handle. I have removed the handle and the cylinder and mortise but cannot figure out how to get the lock and the bolt out of the frame. If I take the handle off the bolt which is on the inside of the frame drops down into the bottom casing so leaving the bolt and innards is not an option.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Post a pic... or call Jason, can't see why they would not tell you. (08) 9351 3400. Be careful with buying a replacement, it must cover the exiting holes and operate.

Ed
Hi their , it's a bit of a mission ,
The problem with those locks is that a tiny piece of die cast breaks of that connects a linkage inside the mech, this causes the lock bolt to drop...(mine did so in the closed position locking it shut ! ) I got around that problem eventually , as the door needs to be open to remove it.
First you undo the screws which hold the fixed non moving panel in place and lift the panel out of the track being carefull , it's not the lightest.
Then you undo the screws on handle and remove both sides ,
Next under a cap in side of door
a screw must be removed to pull out key barrell .
Above this cap their is a tiny screw in side of door , this holds the mortise in position for fitting,
remove this also.
Next a screw at top of door needs to be removed that holds a plastic guide plate.
Then your ready to lower the roller guide adjustment screws at the bottom which will allow you to get clearance to lift the door up and out of the track ( also not light depending on size , get someone to help.
Carefully lay down the door on longest edge on some rubber or matting and support.
Next two screws must be removed that hold the long edge of the door frame in place.
After this you will need a rubber mallet and a suitable small block of timber to gently tap off the aluminium edge strip.
You don't need to take the whole thing off , start at the bottom of the door once it's off enough you will be able to slide out the lock mech !!!
Be carefull when tapping it off as it also holds one edge off glass in a rubber,as long as you have some help you will be able to remove the lock and replace and then tap the strip back on pushing down the rubber back on to the glass, then the screws go back in.
Then follow the stages in reverse to put the whole thing back together .
God these are such a bad design. Mine fail constantly. The latest has the door jammed in the closed position. I suspect the little steel pin - the latching bolt - has worked loose from its fitting. Does anyone know how i can release it without having to disassemble the whole door?
This video shows how to replace the snibs which can be purchased directly from Jason Windows spare parts shop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtOqsnGuJG8
If they are breaking often, then its worth looking at your rollers. Worn out rollers can contribute to the snibs breaking
https://jasonwindows.com.au/how-to-diag ... lock-snib/
Related
1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum