Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

How to ensure bedroom sliding windows can open fully

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

we're finalising the plans for our home, especially wrt windows. They will be provided by Stegbar.

Just by chance, I learned yesterday that due to regulations, first floor windows are typically restricted in their maximum opening.
I found the details here: https://www.awa.org.au/documents/item/75

We've got sliding windows in the bedroom and would like to be able to open them fully when needed for ventilation. The windows would be in the category where the regulations now state "Opening must be restricted to 125mm or fitted with a removable robust screen."

So does anyone know what would count as a removable robust screen? I could not find any details on this...
I would probably think it would be something like a SS woven mesh type screen.

Given we have S/S mesh screens I very much doubt they would be called "robust". I think you will have to look into that problem further as to their definition of "robust".
I would guess it may be a mesh of a much stronger type.
There is a difference between SS mesh and woven mesh. Woven mesh is used in security doors and sliding door applications.

Personally until kids are grown enough I don't believe you should open the windows more, unless they are on bottom floor.

I have seen the safety device fitted to sliding windows is just a piece of extrusion pressed into the track

When I spoke to the company supplying windows to our builder, they said if we asked for "fall prevention fly screens" to be included in the tender (supplied by the same company), that would allow us to have windows that open fully upstairs - some are awnings so I didn't want to have to change the winder down the track. Our neighbours have a stop screwed in place on the track of their sliding windows, which doesn't look too hard to remove once the appropriate fly screens are in place.
A crimsafe or any other typical security screen would comply.
There is a reason they have made this change to the regulation for bedroom windows. Please don't remove the stopper unless you have a proper fixed screen in place.

It's interesting that you say you want to open them further for ventilation, the BCA also states that a certain area must be openable to comply with the part for room ventilation.
I keep meaning to do the sums to see if the new window restrictor rule takes away the required ventilation.....
That's something Ill do a few random sums on a rainy day.

Have you got an example of your smallest bedroom window size and room m2 so I can run a calculation?
We're looking into this as well. We've just moved into a brand new rental and the upstairs windows only open 85mm. We've emailed the property manager to ask if they can at least have them adjusted by the window company to open to 125mm, but we'd also like to look into fall prevention screens and ask the owner to go halves just so we're not roasting in the beds all summer. The bedrooms are west facing and the other day when it was barely 20C in Melbourne, it was quite warm upstairs already. Not helped by the lack of ventilation with windows that don't open past the exterior walls of the house.
Related
24/04/2024
Ensure rubber gym floor is flush to floorboards in hallway?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi there, looking to have a gym in a new build. Planning to install some sort of rubber mat flooring (on concrete) i.e. Asking the builder to not do floorboards in the gym…

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum