Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Shutters or Roller Blinds

Page 1 of 1
Hey guys,

I'm at Mum's quickly (missing my internet badly!!) and thought I would ask your opinion on another item I need to make a decision on.

I'm trying to decide whethere to have roller blinds or plantation shutters in my new home or a combination of both?

I love the look of white plantation shutters, however, I am wondering how practical they will be in our new home (and how expensive!!) and if having them on all windows will be 'too much'...

I also love the look of double roller blinds, was thinking of a dark block out with a white dayblind which you would see from inside. I liek that double roller blinds are sleek, modern and maybe a little cheaper overall than shutters...however, I am worried I will miss not having shutters if I choose to have all roller blinds.

The current thing I was thinking of doing was;

Shutters:
1) Study at the front of house - 3 windows viewed from the front of the house
2) Formal lounge - also towards the front of the house - one medium size window on the side of the house
3) Main bedroom - 3 windows viewed from the front of the house
4) Bathrooms (ensuite and main bathroom)

Roller Blinds:
1) 3 minor bedrooms - all have a single long and short window that is high up on the wall
2) Sliding doors from Rumpus room and Dining Area to teh outside Alfresco
3) Upstairs games room - window looking out to side of house (large window)
4) Dining Area - Medium size window

I've tried to keep all the window furnishings in one area the same (ie open plan living - all roller blinds) AND front facade of house all plantation shutters.

What do you think - would you leave as is or keep all window furnishings the same ??
I wouldn't worry about keeping them all the same except maybe the front elevation.

Personally I love shutters but they are expensive. Roller blinds and panel glides are a good + cheaper option. We'll be putting panel glides on the large panes of glass and roller blinds on the other windows, but keeping the textured fabric the same throughout.
Hi Bel,

I think a combination of both will be OK.

As Dy said keep the front elevation the same.
Hi Bel,

We are also going to put in plantation shutters to the front of the house and still deciding whether to go for roller or roman blinds for the other windows.

I had a quote for the shutters (throughout the house).. $20K!
If it's any help in cost comparison we had a quote for a 1800 H x 2400 W Plantation Shutter in Western Red Cedar for $2120 incl installation and 2 year warranty. Was a three panel shutter, upper and lower half separate, and concealed rod.

Home Outlet
http://homeoutlet.com.au/portal/
Outlet 20, 428 Old Geelong Road
Hoppers Crossing
Mike,

We got the quote from them too!
Related
21/04/2024
Question about motorised roller blinds

Window Furnishings

I have motorised roller blinds in my house. I motorised all the blinds I use a lot and the ones that don’t get used too often I didn’t. I went through Motorise My…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum