Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Restore colour to old aluminium window frames

Page 1 of 1
I have a house built in 2000, which has aluminium framed windows powder coated in a black colour. Not surprisingly the windows and some Colorbond flashing (installed on a bay type window) on the north side are now very dull. Is there anyway to bring these back to life? Would something like a car cut and polish product work on restoring the colour, or is there something else that is inexpensive to do? No so worried about the flashing as it would be easy and not overly expensive to replace, but the window frames look crap.
AJW
I have a house built in 2000, which has aluminium framed windows powder coated in a black colour. Not surprisingly the windows and some Colorbond flashing (installed on a bay type window) on the north side are now very dull. Is there anyway to bring these back to life? Would something like a car cut and polish product work on restoring the colour, or is there something else that is inexpensive to do? No so worried about the flashing as it would be easy and not overly expensive to replace, but the window frames look crap.

Try it on a small portion. If it's only lost the sheen it would work, if it's whitened due to UV damage maybe not. You can take the flashings off and a powdercoater can repaint.

You can repaint the windows using acrylic, the surface needs to be rubbed down the provide a key.

Ed
Thanks for that will see how I go.
Related
29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum