Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Handles - Privacy Vs Normal?

Page 1 of 1
Just looking at door handles and was wondering whether people chose handles with privacy locks for all the bedrooms / bathrooms or whether you stayed with normal handles?
Normal handles for all doors except -

main bathroom
powder room
our bedroom - yes nearly had bad experience
We choose to have privacy lock for all bedrooms, wc and bathroom.
At least main bedroom, WC and bathroom should have the lock.
privacy locks for - master bedroom, guest bedroom, main bathroom & toilet

regular handles for the other 2 bedrooms and study
This is one thing I didn't even think of when we were doing selections, so no, we don't have any privacy locks (that I know of) but will look at replacing the toilet, bathroom and master later on. I can't believe they didn't ask about it during selections - unless they don't offer it... anyone else with M?

Ray.
only one the main bedroom

Not on the kids bedrooms (teenagers) cos we'd never see them again if we did!
We are only having on bathrooms and toilet, which is standard with builder anyway and is all we have in current house (but just DIY latches here).
I think all family members should learn the expectation that it is courtesy to knock on closed bedroom doors. I do that to my teenagers and I expect them to do that to me.
I would be very dubious about putting on minor bedrooms, do you really want your child having a tantrum and locking themselves in bedroom, or locking themselves in by accident, or teenager locking themself in with girl/boy friend???
Too true there, Helyn!

We are only having them on the powder room, bathroom, toilet and our toilet in the ensuite. Most definitely NOT on the kids bedrooms! They are only 6 and 4, but we plan on being in the house for a looooong time, and do not want them as teenagers behind locked doors with boy/girl friends!!

We don't have one on our bedroom currently (and haven't been sprung), but may consider it in the future
Quote:
We don't have one on our bedroom currently (and haven't been sprung), but may consider it in the future

Mine are 11 & 9 prime age to stay awake a bit longer than you think!!
Quote:
Normal handles for all doors except -

main bathroom
powder room
our bedroom

Same with Paula and cookiemonster.
we have them in powder rm, guest rm, general bathrm, toilet and master br. M does them at added cost of approx $30-35 per latch. They retail in Bunnings for about 20-30. getting the identical ones is the problem. I think M uses gainsborough products.
good luck
Thanks vp. I know what they are (Gainsborough Elena), so it's good to know I will be no worse off changing them later.

Ray.
We've opted to have them in our powder room, kids toilet and bathroom and master bedroom (not ensuite). Building commences in 3-4 weeks yay! The cost was $40.00 each through P/Davis.
I think (by law) the locks are designed to be possible to over-ride. CVertainly in toilets & bathrooms it is a legal requiement.
Ash, do you mean if someone has an accident and breaks a leg in the bathroom or a heart attack, they can be released from the outside in an emergency?

That does seem a really good idea.
Yep.
All privacy locks can be over ridden. We've decided to have all bedrooms with them this time as well as toilet and main bathroom.
Hmm hadn't considered putting one on the office but I think that's not a bad idea since in the future it could well be a dedicated full time "work from home" office or turned into a 2nd main bedroom bedroom and finding the same handle might be difficult.

I've been amazed the number of times in the past acquaintances have arrived with smaller children in tow and I've had to chase them out of rooms with closed doors.
I can't believe we didn't even think of privacy locks.

So we don't have any at the moment.

Looks like another call to the builder tomorrow.
Always get privacy handles. Sooner or later somebody will want to lock their door, and upgrading handles usually leaves a mess of holes on a door, or even a weaker door, especially if your door is of a lower quality e.g. hollow.
doors make a house - do it well
Related
1/11/2023
Ideas for Privacy Wall?

General Discussion

Hi guys We have just removed a very large grape vine which was mounted to a structure along this wall. This is a shared wall with our neighbour, and after removal, we…

29/02/2024
handles not horizantal

Windows & Doors

Very small children, small dogs and cats

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum