Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Window Sizes - 300mm increments or 'brickwork dimensions'

Page 1 of 1
We've just signed the contract for our new custom built house and changed from Canterbury windows to another supplier.

Ordinarily, the builder works with Canterbury window standard sizes - http://www.canterburywindows.com.au/sit ... 20aw-3.pdf

Our new supplier can custom make to any size & herein ****** the problem.

The builder's brickies have advised to spec them to 300mm increments and they'll work to those sizes.

I'm not sure about this, as I understood it window sizes are typically based on brickwork dimensions - http://www.constructoz.com.au/Tables/BrickDims.htm

Heights would range from 600, 940, 1030, 1200, 1370, 1540, 1800, 1970, 2140 & 2400.
Widths would range from 610, 730, 850, 970, 1090, 1200, 1330, 1450, 1570, 1690, 1810, 1930, 2050, 2170, 2410, 2530, 2650, 2770, 2890, 3010, 3370, 3610.

Our window schedule provided by the builder (in-house draftsperson) looks like this;

Should I specify exact 'stud opening' sizes (ie. 610w x 2170h) with my supplier or should I just provide the above window sizes to my supplier and allow my builder to work to whatever finished sizes they receive?

I've been told they can 'gauge' the brickwork to suit the opening, but isn't it just easier to work with standard window sizes?
dunkit
We've just signed the contract for our new custom built house and changed from Canterbury windows to another supplier.

Ordinarily, the builder works with Canterbury window standard sizes - http://www.canterburywindows.com.au/sit ... 20aw-3.pdf

Our new supplier can custom make to any size & herein ****** the problem.

The builder's brickies have advised to spec them to 300mm increments and they'll work to those sizes.

I'm not sure about this, as I understood it window sizes are typically based on brickwork dimensions - http://www.constructoz.com.au/Tables/BrickDims.htm

Heights would range from 600, 940, 1030, 1200, 1370, 1540, 1800, 1970, 2140 & 2400.
Widths would range from 610, 730, 850, 970, 1090, 1200, 1330, 1450, 1570, 1690, 1810, 1930, 2050, 2170, 2410, 2530, 2650, 2770, 2890, 3010, 3370, 3610.

Our window schedule provided by the builder (in-house draftsperson) looks like this;

Should I specify exact 'stud opening' sizes (ie. 610w x 2170h) with my supplier or should I just provide the above window sizes to my supplier and allow my builder to work to whatever finished sizes they receive?

I've been told they can 'gauge' the brickwork to suit the opening, but isn't it just easier to work with standard window sizes?

The window supplier would normally quote their closest standard size to your schedule. The window supplier would issue a carpenter's copy to give the frame opening sizes and your builder would work to that. Window companies usually work to brick opening sizes - though they do vary a little from company to company.

BTW, your air gap is small and will reduce the energy efficiency...

Also your full height windows and doors are shown as the same height, usually they differ as windows sit on the bottom plate and doors sit on the slab. You may need to clarify that or the heads may not align.

Ed
Thanks for the info. That's what I thought, work to brick opening sizes.

The air gap is indicative only, as the draftsperson just listed those values.

I hadn't thought about window vs door heights, as there are no doors/windows next to each other in the house. FWIW the ceilings are 2.7m and it's stump and pier house.

Once we get things underway I'll start taking photos and post more info.
Also it depends on whether you are having finished face brick or commons which are rendered after.
The latter doesn't really matter whether you work to brick sizes or not as it all gets covered over with sand/cement plaster.
With face bricks you need to work to the standard brick sizes for your window and door openings.
The walls between them should also be worked out by the draughtsman to be full or half bricks as well.
I've seen lots of jobs where whoever has drawn the plans ( and yes some of them by expensive architects ) hasn't done this and the brickies have had to stretch the joins or squeeze them up which can sometimes look terrible.

Stewie
Stewie D
Also it depends on whether you are having finished face brick or commons which are rendered after.
The latter doesn't really matter whether you work to brick sizes or not as it all gets covered over with sand/cement plaster...

Stewie

Also, if you don't work to brick sizes you will pay more for brick cutting.

Ed
Related
31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

25/12/2023
Foil wrap not done before brickwork

General Discussion

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this? I am in SA

19/09/2023
Gyprock before Brickwork

Building A New House

Yes windows and doors are in

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum