Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Help me find a solution

Page 1 of 1
Ok so now that it is heating up here in WA - we have noticed that our master bedroom (NW facing) gets a lot of sun and heats up. At the moment we have just basic vertical blinds that were installed by the builder. I really do not like the look of them and they aren't very effective in blocking out the heat/light. The only reason I like them is because we sleep with the window ajar throughout the year, so we have the verticals open about 5cm at the end to let the air through.

We are looking to replace these - I really like the idea of roller blinds but I am worried when the window is open they will bang and not let the air in. Another option is tinting the window but I have quotes in excess of $400 just for the 2mx2m window..I don't want a roller shutter on the outside.

Does any one have any ideas/options/feedback on what may be the best idea?

Here is a pic of the window to give you an idea

Thanks
What about panel gliders in more of a sunscreen material
I built a pergola with bamboo roofing based on the attached link.

http://www.anewhouse.com.au/?p=1419

This keeps the summer sun from the north out and some of the sun from the west
If you were interested in tinting you can get do it yourself kits. We got some from WA, but that was a number of years ago, however if you are interested, google it and you will find heaps of places. We found it quite easy to apply as well.
~steph~
If you were interested in tinting you can get do it yourself kits. We got some from WA, but that was a number of years ago, however if you are interested, google it and you will find heaps of places. We found it quite easy to apply as well.

This ^^

You can get silver or mirror finish tinting also not just dark

FWIW I think the only way to avoid the banging noise of blinds is to get curtains/drapes.

If you do that, make sure it is a minimum of 3 pass blockout ( O think it goes up to 4 pass) to get the most heat block.
Thanks for all your help everyone...I am thinking about tinting myself but I am not very handy...Is it fairly easy to do?
you can buy the kits off ebay.
From what I can remember tinting is basically a case of cutting to size put some soapy water on the window and putting the film on the window and using a window cleaner squeegy thing flatten the film against the window. It was easier than putting contact on a book as it doesn't stick instantly, but really does make an instant difference to the sun's intensity. I still remember the day we put ours up, we had one half of the window done and the other half not done, it was a hot day and you could actually feel the difference standing in front of the done window and then the not done window.
It would look nice from the outside, if you had white timber shutters or timber venetians. The venetian blinds can be screwed to the bottom as well to minimise movement. The shutters don't move of course. Then if you want to add more you could have 'fake' curtain panels on the sides.

If that's not an option then curtains are probably the best way to go.

I have lots of photos of what I mean if you like the idea.
Was going to suggest shutters but they're pricey. Our house faces east and the shutters are great for keeping out the morning sun.
What about changing the current vert blinds to block out ones??
What about sun screen protection curtains?
Thanks for your help everyone - we ended up going for tinting as it seemed like the best option - it's fairly dark and may take a bit getting used to ! got a better price and we are really happy with his work if anyone wants his number pm me

From the inside

From the outside

Related
12/11/2023
Performance Based Solution

Building A New House

Hi We are building in the Hunter Valley, our soil test is H1, our builder has advised us they need to have a letter signed for Fair Trading as the new drainage standard…

5/12/2023
Hi, I'm looking for a structural solution to stand alone pic

General Discussion

Sorry! I'm new to this forum and have made a mistake in my posting! I'm looking for a structural solution to a stand alone wooden pickets fence with no structural rail…

18/05/2023
Help with insurance claim

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, long-time lurker but first time posting. I've bought a house 2 and a bit years ago and last year we had some major water damage on a converted pergola area…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum