Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

which window co. to choose?

Page 1 of 2
Going to replace all my windows in my home, and wanting the best energy efficient window on the market.

Any suggestions? (likes and dislikes of your windows - drafts, cleaning, fogging, etc)

Cheers,
Greg
Have a lok at Jason Windows, they are very well built and very helpful
Where are you Greg?

We have been researching windows, too.

We have chosen ones that can tilt and rotate - fully acccessible to clean theoutsides from inside the house
Very high thermal rating without using e glass. They also have restirctors so the windows will only open so far for security reasons (security of keeping the kids in in our case
)

The bigger the air gap between the glass, the better. Ideally, go for more than 12 mm, up to about 16mm.

Argon between the glass is apparently unnescessary unless you are in alpine regions or the windows aren't so thermally controlled.

hth
Greg, I would initially engage a 'house energy rater' in your particular state to provide an energy rating for your existing home. This cost is generally in the vicinity of $120 - $180 depending upon the complexity of your design.
He or She will provide the details to enable you to maximise upon your existing layout.
It may be that double glazed windows to north facing windows will be a benefit.
It may be that single pane 'low-e' glazed windows to the south will be appropriate.
It may be that heavy draped windows with pelmets together with standard glazed windows will be the most cost effective solution, taking into account the orientation of your home.
Simply replacing all windows with one configuration is not a cost effective solution.
Quote:
It may be that single pane 'low-e' glazed windows to the south will be appropriate.

Low-E glass is a highly energy efficient glass, but only in a double glazed unit. Low-E has been tested to work in still air and does not work in single glazing at all - no matter what the blurb says. It may still rate in FirstRate etc... but if it's comfort you want and not figures, forget using Low-E in a single glazed situation.

But it is excellent in double glazing. Then it must be on the correct inner surface - 3rd from the outside for heat retention & 2nd from outside for heat shielding.
Hi EcoClassic

I agree

Low E in single glazing does not work!
A mixture of single glazing and double glazing is total nonsense. It is like putting insulation in some walls and in some not. In the night heat loss is the same regardless of orientation.
Heavy drapes don't substitute insulated glass units (double glazing)
There are some crazy theories about double glazing in the building industry.
And a lot of builders and architects don't understand basic physics or try to bend basic rules and facts of physics.
Louvres are also very attractive to look at, in fashion (according to the Sydney Morning Herald!) and are excellent for allowing cross breezes through your home to reduce the need for airconditioning
windowexpert
Hi EcoClassic

I agree

Low E in single glazing does not work!
A mixture of single glazing and double glazing is total nonsense. It is like putting insulation in some walls and in some not. In the night heat loss is the same regardless of orientation ...

Hi! Yes spot-on windowexpert - windows are leaks in the walls - plugging a few just does not make sense... like having a leaky boat and fixing some of the leaks, you still sink. If you don't double glaze your home today and you plan to keep it for say 5 years you will be selling your home in a market where double glazing will be standard - and then how will you go for price? Imagine selling a house with rotting timber windows today, or the old mission brown anodised windows. Double glazing today will return its cost 4 fold in 5 years when you sell. A small investment today.

And watch those builders prices for double glazing... it's not as expensive as you think. Get your own quote from a window supplier and subtract 30% - that's around a builders price... Do that in single and double glazed. Do this before you sign-up - you may need to change builders to get a fair deal... Burbank seem to have the right idea - 6 Star, double glazed... EP
Glazing is extremely important but you must also think about what window frame to use. The most energy efficient window on the market would be a uPVC double glazed unit, it doesn't have the high maintenance that timber does and doesn't conduct heat like an Aluminium frame will do. As said before, definitely don't use Low E on a single glazed window, only in a double glazed unit. uPVC can be a rather expensive product and hard to find so you need to look around. I've recommended clients to use uPVC window and in Victoria the best company I've discovered would be EcoClassic for quality and price. CertainTeed and Trend also offer a uPVC window.
Kelly

do yo uknow if EcoClassis is a member of the Australia Window Association?

Have its windows been tested to meet Australian Standards

Will it be independently audited to ensure compliance

How long has it been in business

Does it manufacture locally and support the local industry.

The main factor in improving window performance is the glazing systems not the framing systems.

Has PVC been tested in Australian conditions?

The only large PVC jobs i have heard of have discoloured quickly.

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

Comfort Smart
I'm not too sure if EcoClassic is a member of the AWA, they probably are. They have definitely had the windows tested as I've seen the results (they rate extremely well) and put them into a house that I was energy rating and the double glazed uPVC windows made a huge improvement to the rating. I've asked the same questions as you about the fading and they guarantee the PVC for as long as aluminium, in fact I think longer than most window companies offer. They don't manufacture locally but all other window companies import there materials from overseas, so I dont think that should be a huge concern. PVC has been the most popular window in Europe and America for many years now and American has extremely harsh climates. I hope that I have answered your questions. If you have any other questions, please just ask.
thanks Kelly

I just checked with the AWA and they said they are not a member. That is a real concern to me.

Were the windows tested in Australia thanks

Will they be around in 10 years to follow through on their guarantee. its easy to make that promise and disappear

I would rather support companys that make the products in Australia as most of the labour is in the making of the products.

I dont think i want to take a chance on a new company, not a member of the AWA (who audit all members)

thanks Anyway Kelly
You have to do what you feel comfortable with. You have to pay to be a member of the AWA, its not mandatory. All windows still need to meet Australian Standards. The windows were tested in Australia, a company in Dandenong - Victoria. But I'm not sure what they are called. I think they will be around in 10 years but these are concerns that you would have to voice directly with the company. Serveral major melbourne builders are using them.
I concur it is not mandatory but from their web site I can see all the largest window manufacturers and an enormous amount of the small one do. Every name i could imagine but not EcoClassic

Each member has to agree to an annual AWA Complinace Audit and follow a code of conduct

Why wouldn't you be a member to provide potential users of your products with this comfort?

As you say up to the individual

tahnks
Hi again,

I think there is no guarantee to get a good product just because the manufacturer is a member of AWA or WANZ.

I can just tell by looking on the eco classic website that their windows are far superior by design to many of the large manufacturers.

The workmanship is a different matter and needs to be found out by visiting reference projects.

I am in favour to buy locally but the product needs to be up to a high standard which is sometimes not the case in AUS/NZ especially with joinery supplies and home appliances.

Comfort Smart
thanks Kelly

I just checked with the AWA and they said they are not a member. That is a real concern to me.

Were the windows tested in Australia thanks

Will they be around in 10 years to follow through on their guarantee. its easy to make that promise and disappear

I would rather support companys that make the products in Australia as most of the labour is in the making of the products.

I dont think i want to take a chance on a new company, not a member of the AWA (who audit all members)

thanks Anyway Kelly

Hi kelly,

Can you please explain why not being a member is of concern? I think that is a little unfair??
Adrian

Spend a few minutes reviewing the attached site

http://www.awa.org.au/

I did and my comment was i would rather deal with a company that adheres to certain guidlines and agree to independant audits of its products to a company that does not

up to the individual i guess
Will begg to differ, but agree in saying that it is up to the individual. They should look at as many companies that can supply suitable products as possible, , do research, get testimonials or references. Perhaps approach industry bodies for advise. Being a member of any organisation or not should not be a real concern, it should be considered in making a decision, along with ther other information. There are many companies that provide excellent and leading edge products who do not belong to industry bodies.

My aim here is to not downplay or bash industry bodies. Far from it. But not being a member of a voluntary organisation should not be the only reason for discounting a company or its products. Some industry bodies are not worth the sticker on the window, and some actually drive customers away.

The power is in the consumer to do their homework. Then the decision is theirs alone.

Thanks for the clarification.
Comfort Smart
I concur it is not mandatory but from their web site I can see all the largest window manufacturers and an enormous amount of the small one do. Every name i could imagine but not EcoClassic

Each member has to agree to an annual AWA Complinace Audit and follow a code of conduct

Tell me about the Code of Conduct Comfort Smart...

Is that Comfort Smart as in A&L Windows?

http://www.alwindows.com.au/energyrating.htm

Name COMFORT SMART
Date Business Commenced Jan 6 2003
Renewal Date Jan 15 2009
Business Status REGISTERED

Registered Office
Address (Current): 20 APOLLO DR
HALLAM
VIC 3803

Start Date: Jan 15 2003

Corporations(s) Carrying on Business (Current)

A & L WINDOWS PTY LTD
Registration Number: 064 692 888
Type: OWNER
Class:
Address: 20 APOLLO DR
HALLAM
VIC 3803

J
Related
23/05/2023
Which entry door pull handle to go for?

Building A New House

Black on light wood does look good. Not sure if it will be as long lasting as a steel finish?

7/06/2023
LMI or Saving? - Help, which is better?

General Discussion

brokers will also be in a position to get you a better rate than the advertised rate most times.

29/09/2023
Timber or carpet on first floor- which looks good ?

General Discussion

Thank you. Do I use timber floorboards for stairs or do people use timber treads? Or is both the same?

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum