Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Locking aluminium sliding windows

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys!

I have sliding windows in my main living area and whilst they have locks when FULLY closed I was wondering whether there was anything I could purchase to lock them half way? Ideally, locking them at a variable distance would be best.

Thoughts?
hi niko,

not something we bought but when I was growing up my parents had in our windows steel poles as locks for our windows. they were there to keep the windows shut but you could always cut them to a length which would lock them at open, though of course then you could still shut them, just not open them anymore.

Another option would be those patio locks, they are usually used on sliding doors but you could position them wherever you like really, they could keep the windows open at a certain point.

they look like this
Good thinking. The steel rod is certainly the easiest option but the patio lock is probably a better long term solution.

I was told once there was a purpose made device for this sort of thing, but perhaps they were pulling my leg.
In our old place the windows didnt have proper locks so we had round lengths of wood to stop them from being opened. When they were open, we angled the wood so it wouldnt open any further. So as Southies said, smaller pieces of wood/metal etc could be used?
Certainly makes sense Bam. The main reason why I need to do this is to run evap cooling during the night. Was after a more "secure" method.

But I guess if it's steel or wood cut to size (for a snug fit) it would be just as effective.
Our sliding windows have a key lock and the window slides across to about 2 inches open and then locks in position with key.
ie enough to let in fresh air but not enough for arm to fit into space to break in.
$14 extra per window.

not sure if you can get them fitted on after window instalation but cant see why not?
Helyn
Our sliding windows have a key lock and the window slides across to about 2 inches open and then locks in position with key.
ie enough to let in fresh air but not enough for arm to fit into space to break in.
$14 extra per window.

not sure if you can get them fitted on after window instalation but cant see why not?

wow! I'll have to check whether ours do this LOL. our locks were fitted retrospectively.
Helyn
$14 extra per window.

Interesting! What are these called specifically or do you have a photo or something?

Trying to explain this to someone at a store is a nightmare!
Check out this site.
http://www.whitco.com.au/infoCentreDocu ... AT-026.pdf
^^^ Which lock is best though? This is what I need to know.
I was going to do the bit of wood cut to length thing but then I saw how easy the window's are to remove! I'd love to get some keyed locks that can be locked while the window is open
niko
Helyn
$14 extra per window.

Interesting! What are these called specifically or do you have a photo or something?

Trying to explain this to someone at a store is a nightmare!

not sure what they are called - will take a photo for you when I get home on Sunday
They are called "vent locks"... every manufacturer has them, and Bunnings...

Ed
I have whitco locks on my awning windows,i can wind out how far i want then push button.Window will not wind out any further.Maybe there is something similar for sliders.
pattycake4
I have whitco locks on my awning windows,i can wind out how far i want then push button.Window will not wind out any further.Maybe there is something similar for sliders.

Not available for sliders... just Vent Locks...

Ed
i have the push in locks and have holes drilled in two places to allow for different opening widths

it is all very secure feeling til the day the burgular comes along and simply somehow jimmies it all open anyway

my thought for my next place is to have maybe the patio bolt style on the windows

but i dont know if that is any better security wise

ditzy
I've been using the stick in the window to provide "secure" partial opening of windows. I figured as long as the opening was only 200 mm air would get in and burglars couldn't. But as others have pointed out, windows can be simply lifted up and out. (Of course, when you think about it, that's how the sliding portion of a window is put in - into the top channel and down onto the runner. I guess it's the window lock that prevents the sliding portion from moving up or out.)
Looks like our old house had vent locks (I think that's what it was - thanks Ed for naming it
).
There was no separate key - just the same keying mechanism/part as for normal locking - you just drill a hole (for the bolt, in the fixed part of the window frame, bottom front face - from memory) wherever you want the doors to be locked in when opened and then you just push the bolt in and turn the key to lock it there. You could even drill more than one hole - eg. one at a 10 cm opening width, another at 25cm (just an example).
So easy and you can customise the opening width to your liking!
Although, you might need to buy this keying mechanism that has bolts
... maybe that's what Ed meant. Also, the keying mechanism would need to sit at the bottom of the window frame (ours was right in the corner), not on the side. I have some pics but they were from quite a distance, so maybe not that clear.
Related
16/01/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

I don't know them all, the first 2 top of your list are best known. Rylock is a good company, Stegbar is for sale.

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum