Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Internal Sliding Doors

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I am considering the use of an internal sliding door to separate two large rooms on the ground floor of our new home - one formal and one informal.

I am novice at this stuff so any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

The flooring hasn't been decided yet - either wood or tiles - but I am leaning towards wood.

Please don't worry about offending me if this is a silly idea - I'd rather know now than later - thanx.

enigma+family
Good idea.. we had double internal sliding cavity doors to close off our home theatre.

Keep in mind that you can't have light switches on the wall where the door slides into the cavity.
worth a visit to a door place with your plans. they will give you an idea what can and cant be done. we are getting a cavity slider to zone off the kitchen and family room. and having a 8 leaf multifold system to separate the family rm and rumpus in order to convert to a home theatre/music room. cost of both about 3K by Corinthian doors
Thanks for your responses - I feel a little better now. The tip about the power points and the cavity was something I had overlooked even though it seems quite obvious now, lol!

A couple of more questions.

I was wondering if you had the same flooring in the connected rooms? If so, did the base of the slider break up the flow of the flooring? And, could you set it flush into the floor to avoid a tripping hazard?

Thanx in anticipation. Enigma+Family.
my rumpus (music/theatre)will have carpet to dampen the echoes.. family rm will have tiles. there will be some metallic parts in the carpet but they told these will be hidden in the carpet pile the sliding runners will be in a bulkhead above the doors.. make sure there is a solid beam above the doors if you are putting them in afterwards. in order to avoid the hassle we are getting the builder to do them for us. the sliding door will be on the carpet-tile border.
hope this helps
enigma_brennan
I was wondering if you had the same flooring in the connected rooms? If so, did the base of the slider break up the flow of the flooring? And, could you set it flush into the floor to avoid a tripping hazard?

Thanx in anticipation. Enigma+Family.

I had tiles on one side and carpet on the other. The sliding doors had no base - the doors were suspended on the rollers above.

Like this.. except we had 2 side by side -

The rollers are above the door:
Thanx again! I'm also thinking of two side by side.

Steve, I love the windows - did you use clear or opaque glass?

enigma+family
OOPS - sorry I meant Mark!
Our doors didn't have windows.

But if you were to get windows I'd go for clear glass.
Ahhh here we go.. I found a pic of our actual doors.

Wow, what a great looking room. Thanx for the photos - I'm feeling a lot better about our choice. Cheers.

enigma+family
You'll notice in the picture where we had to locate the light switches relative to the doors.
I would have though that it is possible to have the light switch beside the door.

Doing some rough calculations, if the wall is 100 mm wide and the doors is 40 mm wide, that's 30 mm each side. With 13 mm plasterboard that's still 17 mm for the wiring. Allowing 5 mm clearance between the wiring and the door that 's still 12 mm for the wiring, which I would have though was plenty.
Wow, cookie, that room looks just like you!!!!!!!!!!
All you need is some blue fur cushions and maybe a throw!!!!
**Phoenix**
Wow, cookie, that room looks just like you!!!!!!!!!!
All you need is some blue fur cushions and maybe a throw!!!!

Hehehe. I used to live in that room.
Was that your theatre? What colour is the new room going to be?????
**Phoenix**
Was that your theatre? What colour is the new room going to be?????

Yep that was the theatre. We'll stick with lighter boring colours like whites and light greys in the new house as we won't be having a projector, so we don't need a darker room.
Cookiemonster
Keep in mind that you can't have light switches on the wall where the door slides into the cavity.

Contact Alma Building Products.
They make cavity sliders that allow for electrical wiring. So you can have the light switch where you want it.
Great tip there Upright Homes!

http://www.almabuildingproducts.com.au/

useful stuff indeed!
Related
3/02/2024
Flush Internal Doors

General Discussion

Okay, then the choice is really about the build quality of the door itself which means the brand name. Sorry I can't recommend one or the other so best to rely on comments…

14/05/2023
Sliding Doors

General Discussion

we have a standard size and often we have a lot of variety to choose

15/06/2023
Sliding doors

Windows & Doors

We are looking for sliding doors which are 5 metres tall. There are a few European options. Any manufacturers in Australia or distributors?

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum