Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Laundry doors slider or solid

Page 2 of 2
It all depends on how much space you have. Sliding glass doors do seem a bit silly if they're right next to the washing machine. As others have mentioned, cleaning is a pain, plus you lose half the light anyway because there's a bloody great machine right up against the window. But if the laundry is big and the layout means there's plenty of open space, then the extra light could be a bonus.

I don't have an opening window in my laundry at all - the one we had in our old house next to the sink was so small it was useless
- and we have a condenser dryer, so don't need to worry about steam. I also added a ducted heating vent in there for drying washing in winter (still need that damn clothesline mounted on the wall
). There are ways around every little issue.

I love Sonja's laundry.
I have a slider - the laundry is big enough and next to the sliding door is the entrance into the walk in linen so I don't have to worry about not being able to clean it due to appliances.
In our old house we didn't have any door leading to outside in the laundry - all it had was a sun roof as it was located smack bang in the middle of the house - so I never really thought of this while we were looking at homes - i never had a preference.

But now posed with the question - I guess it really depends on the size and layout of your laundry - I'm happy with what we have - with the door open in the warmer months and the screen door shut it will help in a nice cross breeze through the living areas of our house
I prefer the look of a 'solid' laundry door but we decided on a sliding door for a number of reasons.

- It means I can leave the door open (with screen door closed/ locked for security) to allow air to circulate through the area. We will also have an exhaust fan in the room but I still to be able to have a fresh breeze come through. I often have clothes hanging inside on a clothes horse (or may even have a small inside line) so I like the idea of a room where lots of fresh air can circulate.
- It will allow a lot of light into an area that may otherwise be quite dark.
- Having a sliding door means that I don't have a door that swings into the laundry or outside blocking off access to the clotheslines

(BTW The access to our sliding won't be blocked by washing machine or anything like that so will be easy so clean You can see the position of the sliding door on my plans on the first page of my building thread)

Cheers!
I currently have a solid door with an openable window next to it, and for the new house we have chosen a sliding, as I always had trouble with the door opening onto clothes I may have sorted (my laundry is a little small), and I always had trouble navigating with a basket of washing, and had to have something to hold it from closing.

We too won't have issues with cleaning as there is a wall next to the washing machine so the sliding doors starts a little further in.
We have a wooden hinged door, but it is full glass. The glass is double glazed with an internal venetian blind. We put the blind up to let light in, but as the laundry faces west it can get hot in the afternoon so we can pull the blind down. We are really happy we chose this door.
I too love sliders, i like lots of light in the laundry, as they always seems to be dark areas of the house.
I am fortunate that my slider is not obstructed by anthing this time which is great. However last house had the trough quite close.

For me i would rather the inconvenience of difficulty when cleaning, than having a dark laundry.

I too will be having a security screen and patio lock on the door so it can be left open if required.
Am waiting for a price to come back on a door & window,will be interesting to see what the difference is
We've got a sliding door. But I wish we had gone with a single solid door. It's such a waste of space that sliding door.

It does let a lot of light in, but I wish we had gone with a window instead. That way we would have had more benchtop space at least.
We don't have a new home but thought I'd comment anyway. We have a teeny tiny laundry with a solid wood door and a security fly screen door. There is a small window above the sink.

I have the wooden door open all day and the screen door shut and locked. I use the dryer a lot and need the air circulating. I also often have one or two small clothes horses sitting in there (which take up the full space of the laundry). At night when I go to close the wooden door I have to move the clothes horses out of the laundry just so I can close the door. Then I move them back in. Bit of a pain! If there was a sliding door it would be easier. Our laundry opens up onto our back patio so a sliding glass door would suit (as per the one in the dining area which also opens on the patio).

I think it depends where your laundry opens out to, which side of the house etc and the size of the laundry itself.

Sliding doors (and their tracks) do require more cleaning though...
A solid door is better especially if you have kids or I suppose you could lock it if it was a sliding door. I am not a fan of sliding doors.
I have sliding doors leading out from my laundry, didn't really think about it much when we were building, just accepted the builder's standard. I have a problem now with water sitting in the sliding door recess every time it rains.

Is this due to a design flaw or is it completely normal with these sliding doors. It just doesn't seem right, letting water inside every time it rains.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Related
6/07/2023
Engineered Timber Flooring Vs Solid Timber

General Discussion

Engineering timber is certainly a less fuss option, times cheaper to supply and install and better withstands humidity.

19/08/2023
Solid plastering around door frames - help... so confused :(

General Discussion

If this is a custom build then I would expect the builder to set out the door frame closer to the wall to avoid the gap between architrave and the wall and or specify…

7/07/2023
blocked drain in laundry

General Discussion

Agreed. I just found out today the certifier has not given the final sign off.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum