Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Tint film on double glazed?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We have large double-glazed windows on the west side of the house on which we also have a water view. Our plan was to apply a reflective film primarily so we could look at the view without people looking back in at us. It might be helpful in the coming months to also have heat reflection.
I have had three quotes:
No 1 - did not mention double glazing issue

No 2 - said we were limited with choice but gave two options that might suit

No 3 - said no option at all, glass would get hot and crack

Can anyone help?
Hi Scribe, we applied tinted film to both our north and south facing double-glazed windows mid-summer (last year) and thus far no problems! I asked the installer re considerations for double-glazing and was advised that there weren't any but then again he had a vested interested so now I am hoping that I haven't been too trusting!

FYI, our film was installed on the inside pane which I intuitively thought would be cooler for a double-glazed window (in the hot summer sun) compared to a single-glazed window and, thus, less prone to heat/cracking issues but I could well be wrong

We tinted our southern windows (front of house) primarily for privacy and the north facing windows (living areas/bedrooms) for both privacy and glare reduction; our tint is the darkest available without the 'mirror' appearance (personal preference).

I will be interested to hear what the experts have to say, Paul.
Hi

thanks for posting this query...i was after the same answer!
We are using double glazed windows also, and want some street privacy to the front. Our builder is charging $1500 to tint these windows at the front (sizes ranging from small 2(1.2 x .60) , medium 4(1.2x1.2) large 1(2x1.2) and 2(2.6x.5)
This tint is not the film type I believe.

I wanted to know
1) is it advisable tinting windows that are double glazed?

I too have recieved conflicting advice (one tint film manufacturer reccomending either a 50% tint (56% heat reduction and 45% glare reduction) or a silver reflective tint (heat reduction78% and glare reduction82%).

2)What is the difference between tinted glass and tinted film? function and cost?

I look forward to hearing from you!
Cheers
Mandi
Same we have a large double glazed fixed window on the stair landing facing west. Windows have all just been installed. It's looks onto the neighbours ugly roof and is going to get too hot in summer depite the sunenergy laminated double glazing, so I will be looking for some tint film now.
In retrospect, this glass needed to be a feature, like etched or something to block the view and more thought re hot sun.
In the meantime, I got a VEROSOL blind, the one with the silver metallic backing for it's reflective properties. It's see through and private at the same time. I will get that window tinted but at a later date. It's big window, 2.7 x 2.1.
Well I can answer my own question for those interested.

We have survived one summer with our double-glazed windows tinted.
They were very hot on the inside but other than that no damage so far.

The privacy outweighs any heat trouble
Here is some info from a supplier's site... referring to tinted film...

For application to buildings care should be taken when applying to double-glazing as heat absorption may cause cracking.

Could be an expensive risk...

Ed
What if you had the inside of the outer pane tinted during manufacture? Would that stop most of the IR & UV from even entering the window? Are there any other options for west facing windows, apart from external shading, as my (planned) bedroom with 2 large-ish windows will be west facing and don't want blinds on the front of the house. Guess I could plant some trees.
Bayview
What if you had the inside of the outer pane tinted during manufacture? Would that stop most of the IR & UV from even entering the window? Are there any other options for west facing windows, apart from external shading, as my (planned) bedroom with 2 large-ish windows will be west facing and don't want blinds on the front of the house. Guess I could plant some trees.

Low-E glass included in the double glazing (not in single glazed !!!!) is your answer.

Ed
Related
1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

16/01/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

I don't know them all, the first 2 top of your list are best known. Rylock is a good company, Stegbar is for sale.

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum