Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

-29 BAL Windows

Page 1 of 2
We are unlucky enough to be building in an extreme bushfire rating area (-40 BAL) in the middle of Sydney. But that's another story.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer with some experience in this area. Trend windows advertise their bush fire rated windows as such, but just wondering if they are the only ones we are able to use? Just had the quote back from them and almost fell off the chair as our house design has a lot of glass.

Also some window manufacturers request a window schedule whereas our building designer says any manufacturer worth their salt should be able to work from plans. Do I need the added expense of a window schedule for quotes assuming I can use someone other than Trend?
Trend are your only current option for rated windows. You can however use roller shutters. If the look of these distresses you, they can be recessed into your eaves so they can't be seen when not being used.
No window manufacturer needs a window shedule however it takes out any room for error. You dont need one. just tell them the windows are "as per the plan".
Thanks for the reply. Trend didn't need a window schedule to quote so that saves some $$$.

It's pretty disturbing though that there isn't any competition in this market. So everyone in a bush fire zone uses either Trend windows or shutters? Unfortunately shutters won't work in the design of our house - the windows extend all the way to the pitched roof.
Oops - made a big blue but in a good way. We're not -40BAL, it should have been -29BAL (level 3). Do I now have any alternatives for glass manufacturers?https://forum.homeone.com.au/posting.php?mode=reply&f=23&t=37606#
BAL 29 is the limit of most. You can talk to Dowell, A&L Windows, Bradnams and others.
Great - thanks for the info - I have some choice now.
Good luck with your build.

as additional food for thought, some steel-reinforced uPVC windows are rated to BAL 29. So that covers fire compliance as well as excellent thermal performance. Let me know if you would like any more details/reports etc.

Cheers,

Brad
-------
Hi We are a bal 40 in victoria it states that the windows need to be 5mm toughened glass with screens bronze or steel 2mm thick , we were getting roller shutters with ordinary windows but they are not rated yet so they now have to come and replace the glass in the windows

SOots
sootymay12
Hi We are a bal 40 in victoria it states that the windows need to be 5mm toughened glass with screens bronze or steel 2mm thick , we were getting roller shutters with ordinary windows but they are not rated yet so they now have to come and replace the glass in the windows

SOots

Make sure the screens supplied cover both fixed & opening sashes.
Just to add for general information - the BAL is directional from the fire source so if there is a side of the dwelling that is 'sheltered', then the requirements do not apply to that area.
We have the 5mm toughened gIass and also the screens as well- But I have just been up to my house this morning and I am NOT happy about the screens they have installed on my doors (the widows aren't up yet). They are basically normal flyscreens but made of flimsy metal/mesh. I thought they would have to be quite solid- I was thinking more like the crimsafe metal. I need to find out what they are supposed to be like so I can make sure I am not being ripped off.
lj3376
We have the 5mm toughened gIass and also the screens as well- But I have just been up to my house this morning and I am NOT happy about the screens they have installed on my doors (the widows aren't up yet). They are basically normal flyscreens but made of flimsy metal/mesh. I thought they would have to be quite solid- I was thinking more like the crimsafe metal. I need to find out what they are supposed to be like so I can make sure I am not being ripped off.

Hi LJ I am pretty sure the screens and doors need to be 2mm thick steel or bronze screens not the ordinary fly screen on all windows and doors

Tammy
Hi LJ - sounds concerning. I'm finding these BAL regulations a minefield and we're just in the quoting stage. Judging by the quotes we're receiving back from manufacturers there seems to be a lot of confusion. We've had quotes ranging from $20K to $100K. We have a lot of glass so the $20K quote was just wrong, all 3mm glass - I don't think they even looked at the fire regulation documents I sent along with the plans.
j&r
Hi LJ - sounds concerning. I'm finding these BAL regulations a minefield and we're just in the quoting stage. .

I'm hearing you! And trying to get information today has just been a nightmare, everyone condradicts each other in their information.
One says to me ******* aluminium mesh is fire safe- how that is possible I do not know, then someone else tells me no-it should be 2mm steel mesh like what Sooty May said. It's just nuts. Even ringing the actual building commision- the person there did not have a clue!
To date I have found that all the major window manufacturers are very well aware of the BAL requirements (in Vic) & that basically if you supply a floor plan, site plan & BAL report they will quote / supply the correct configuration after consultation.
The screens referred to are - 'a mesh with a maximum aperature of 2mm, made of corrosion - resistant steel or bronze.'
. . . if anyone has further questions on BAL, I don't mind hijacking the topic.
me me pick me I have a question we are currently a bal 40 in victoria they are upgrading our windows to 6mm toughened glass and giving us flyscreens do they have to cover the entire window not just the openable portion and do you know if our front door is allowed to have glass panels any info would be much appreciated so I have my information correct when speaking with the ss

thanks heaps Tammy
Under the current legislation - which will undoubtably be revised in the next BCA - flyscreens to both fixed & openable.
With doors - 6mm toughened glass & where the glazing is less than 400mm above ground level, decking etc screened.
Doorframes to be metal.
Weather strips or draught seals installed.
ausdesign
Under the current legislation - which will undoubtably be revised in the next BCA - flyscreens to both fixed & openable.
With doors - 6mm toughened glass & where the glazing is less than 400mm above ground level, decking etc screened.
Doorframes to be metal.
Weather strips or draught seals installed.

thanks ausdesign for your help will keep an eye on things
Hi Ausdesign - do you have any recommendations for Sydney manufacturers? I've sent off numerous plans to various places with very little response. We have a significant amount of glass (and now a window schedule) - as soon as they receive our plans I don't hear any more...
Related
12/04/2024
BAL 29 uPVC windows compliance

General Discussion

Just remember that uPVC melts at 160 C.

3/01/2024
Rainwater tanks in BAL FZ

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you it really does, appreciate your response!

22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum