Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

door frame rotting at base

Page 1 of 1
My front door frame is starting to rot at the bottom of the frame on the outside. I am assuming water is getting in there. I have known other people who have had the same problems. Is this a flashing issue? Or is it water standing on the floor plate and the wood is absorbing it?
HEY MIKE

IF THE ROT IS NOT TO BAD AND IS GOING TO BE PAINTED OVER BY A SOLID COVER PAINT REMOVE THE ROT SO YOU GET BACK TO HARD TIMBER THEN TREAT THIS AREA WITH A WATER REPELLANT LIKE BLUE 7 FILL THE HOLE WITH BUILDERS BOG (MAKE SURE YOU DONT GO OVERBOARD WITH THE BUILDERS BOG THIS IS HARD STUFF TO SAND BACK. WHEN YOU HAVE DONE THAT PRIME AND REPAINT.
IF YOU HAVE BAD ROT OR YOU WANT TO TO STAIN/OIL THE DOOR THE BOTTOM PIECE OF TIMBER HAS TO BE REPLACED AS THE STAIN WILL SHOW THE FILLER AND WILL NOT LOOK TO GOOD

TO THOSE WHO ARE PAINTING DOORS IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO PAINT THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE DOOR AS THE MOISTURE GOES UP/DOWN AND MAKES THE PAINT PEEL AND OR WOOD ROT.

ALL THE BEST

EGGENZ 2004
Related
30/04/2023
Rotting stairs

General Discussion

You will need to replace the entire stairs. Carpenter is the trade you're after.

18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

20/07/2023
Double door frame size

General Discussion

Current door width is approx 2700, looking to have double doors fitted 820-820. What size does the frame need to be before door jamb? Thanks

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum