Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

should all doors be painted on the top and bottom..........

Page 2 of 4
I sent our admin a big email today... will see what their answer is to us... considering they like to give their clients different answer and are never consistent!
It would only take a few minutes to do when they were painting the rest of the door
Our SS has talked up the quality of our painter's work... I'll be the judge of that though
Ari
It would only take a few minutes to do when they were painting the rest of the door

The thing is the doors have to be removed painted and re-hung and then the faces painted.
Do painters have screw drivers
Aaron has all sorts of non-plumbing tools in his van, pretty sure there's even a paint brush in there.

I believe someone quoted instructions from the Corinthian site... "Immediately after fitting and before hanging, the entire door including the top and bottom edges must receive two coats of undercoat and two coats of paint."

So 'before' hanging... what do they need screw driver for?
onc_artisan
Ari

The thing is the doors have to be removed painted and re-hung and then the faces painted.

probably not. They dont seem to have drop sheets or tape either.

The doors weren't hung when they were painted though.
onc_artisan
Ari

Our doors were all removed for painting and rehung after. All door handles and locks were also removed and replaced, as they should be. Our painter definitely had a screwdriver.
I'd expect nothing but the whole door painted, just as much as I expect Plush Sofas will cover my entire lounge, not just the front and sides
Aaron & Erin
I'd expect nothing but the whole door painted, just as much as I expect Plush Sofas will cover my entire lounge, not just the front and sides

Whatever for? You won't see the back if you push it up against a wall...

Yes ours weren't done either here in WA. tops and bottoms of internal doors all completely unpainted.
WOW they rang me next day and booked in a house inspection must have listened this time.
Just have to wait and see what they say?
This is clearly against the Standards, plus it's against mfr instructions!!
Doors will more readily warp and and deteriorate if not coated on all sides. Standards can't be there just for the sake of them being there ...
Has anyone clearly written (to the builder) something like "this is clearly outside the current BCA Standards ... it will void mfr warranty ..." ??
kassan1973
I have just sent email to Henleys as none of ours were done back 2007 gladly informed them i would contact corinthian regarding this poor practice if not rectified. Have also been waiting 6 months for them to fit fireproof insulation along my garage roof area as this is required when within 900 mm of a boundary

Received email from corinthian stating only external doors require painting top and bottom ??? asked them to explain their own warranty policy? waiting!!!!
Unreal! But, even if the Mfr is OK with this particular issue, the Standard calls for priming on all sides - otherwise, the builder is in trouble and your case is clear.

I keep finding flaws in documents and procedures from various suppliers. Latest round - 2 flaws in 3 days, both suppliers advised their docos are out of date and thanked me for raising the questions - WTF!?! I cannot believe that I'm the first to ask the questions (which pointed to inconsistencies and ambiguities) - I think they must have received some calls earlier, only they didn't care to actually fix it. They were quick to credit me with the 'discoveries' and were not the least bit surprised or confused - meaning they must have already known about their mistakes. Not impressed at all.
Lex

I keep finding flaws in documents and procedures from various suppliers.

Too true. A bit off topic in this forum, but the worst one I found was a John D**re tractor manual that stated that hills should always be mowed sideways, not up and down (to prevent rollovers). The exact opposite is, in fact, true. The dealer was astounded when I pointed this out.

But it's OK really - no-one ever reads the manual.

Cheers
zeke
OK, so all internal and external doors have to be painted/primed on all sides - end of story.

But what about timber window frames and external door frames? For example, most of people have timber door frames in their main entry. The actual door frame gets installed early on during the build. Are they ever primed or painted on all sides? What is the standard for it?
it should be ok because it is cover and hence sealed. Perhaps not the best. If I had it my way i would want to paint at least with undercoat all the way around.
borg
it should be ok because it is cover and hence sealed. Perhaps not the best.

So, you mean it's OK without paiting them all around?
And is there an actual standard? S&Tolerances only mention the doors - frames seem to be completely ignored.
You should always paint / seal all natural timber that is exposed to the air. If the door frame is only exposed on certain sides then they should be painted.
Hmmmm .... in good old days (and in certain parts of the planet), people used to paint/stain all timber on all sides, regardless of being internal or external. Especially if that side of timber is resting on the slab

To me, painting only the (easily) visible sides is just irresponsible.
Related
31/01/2024
Bench top chipped

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

These can be easily filled and repaired and it doesn't cost them much to do. Id get the builder to do this first and if the repair is not suitable then a replacement is…

14/09/2023
Bench top overhang on the side

Laundry

Thanks Ardo, they are sort of semi concealed. I think it is only a few millimetres. I see if they can adjust the hinges.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum