Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Floor to ceiling windows

Page 1 of 1
Hello All,

We are currently planning our extension to our house in Melbourne, we are still at the prelim stages and i am hoping to get a guide on the cost for floor to ceiling windows and stacker doors.

As i understand, these would all be custom made to fit our ceiling height of 3 meters. What we are after are floor to ceiling windows for the entire back wall which will be roughly 6M x 3M. We would also like 2 floor to ceiling triple stacker doors to open onto the deck. These will be roughly 5M x 3M and 3.5M x 3M respectively.

I haven't been able to find any guides on the internet so am hoping someone can anyone provide a rough guide on how much these would cost? I understand these will not be cheap so would like to plan for it as much as possible.

Thanks!

Edit: Wall at the back is actually 6M x 3M.
Hi,

You will need to contact a commercial window fabricator for this as standard residential sections will not be strong enough to cater for such large openings. Any commercial fabricator should be able to give you a quote based on the information you have provided. I recommend the AWS Commercial system - if you visit the website http://www.awscommercial.com.au you can find a directory of fabricators that can help you out.

Kylie
Thanks Kylie. I have contacted a supplier from the website you suggested and provided details for them to quote. I will report back once we i hear from them. Cheers.
Hi there,

Thought I would offer some food for thought about your proposal....

Think carefully about the effect of full length windows. I would NEVER have such windows personally, as I don't think they are a good idea, although I can see the stacker doors to an outdoor area may be a practical requirement.

I'm thinking of the potential damaging affect of sunlight on carpets or other floor-coverings and furniture. I see a lot of carpets that get ruined even after a few years. They fade, the latex deteriorates and the backing becomes brittle. Ultimately, the UV damage can be quite costly.

I'm sure there are various pros and cons of the full length windows. I just suggest you research these things and consider carefully before proceeding.

Ash.
We had floor to ceiling window walls in a previous house and they are fantastic, specially if you are a natural light lover like I am. One small thing to remember (which I didn't think about at the time) is that if the window walls are 'absolute' floor to ceiling and you want to fit curtain tracks etc finding a small profile track can be a problem as ours had to hold a huge weight in the heavy (and large) lined curtains. The top of the door had just millimetres clearance on the top edge which might not be such a big deal but something to think about beforehand.

This time around I'll be having large windows/doors but not planning 'absolute' floor to ceiling.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn
Are you having screens as well? Check out Centor Architectural screens, they look fab with wide openings.
Related
29/01/2024
Do floor to ceiling tiles ad much resale value

Building A New House

They make the room much easier to clean for one, reflect more light (if light colour tiles are used), and you dont end up with dust on the top edge of tiles (cause most…

12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum