Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Scratched Windows

Page 1 of 1
When I was checking out our new house last week I noticed a few small scratches on a couple of our windows, they aren't huge but I think once they are all clean they might stand out more.
Has anyone else had this and what did your builder do about it?
vid, do you mean on the glass or the surrounds? If it's bothering you maybe you should say something, but then again I think you also have to consider ''picking your battles''.
themax
vid, do you mean on the glass or the surrounds? If it's bothering you maybe you should say something, but then again I think you also have to consider ''picking your battles''.

The scratches are on the glass itself, I think I will say something but I'm not quite sure when, I'm also not sure if I should clean all the windows so I can see if any others have scratches or if I do will the builder say I shouldn't have touched them.
I think I would have to say something. It would drive me crazy. It might be better not to touch them and when you mention the scratches you could say that you hope there are no more...
vid
themax

The scratches are on the glass itself, I think I will say something but I'm not quite sure when, I'm also not sure if I should clean all the windows so I can see if any others have scratches or if I do will the builder say I shouldn't have touched them.

Scratches are mostly caused by cleaning... so don't touch your windows as they can then blame you...

You should report it immediately, it's a fairly standard problem.

Here's a summary from the HIA which includes the standard.

ed @ EcoClassic
vid
themax

Scratches are mostly caused by cleaning... so don't touch your windows as they can then blame you...

You should report it immediately, it's a fairly standard problem.

Here's a summary from the HIA which includes the standard.

Thanks for that info I think I will give our SS a call next week.
Welcome
hence many of the builders up this way using Goop! or similar paint on glass protector.
Makes it a pain for the owner come lock-up time to see inside the house but
you can peel it back and see inside.

Provides at least a little protection for the windows when there is so much dust
and dirt flying everywhere
ozzroo
hence many of the builders up this way using Goop! or similar paint on glass protector.
Makes it a pain for the owner come lock-up time to see inside the house but
you can peel it back and see inside.

Provides at least a little protection for the windows when there is so much dust
and dirt flying everywhere

It's expensive... we (and others) use plastic film and adhesive tape on all glass surfaces.

Ed
only our front windows have a green "thick glad wrap type" plastic material on them, a couple of others had signs on them saying attention: brickies..... attention: others etc..... (basically be careful), maybe they arrived this way, but had I thought they would get scratched after installation I would have taped some wrap on them myself, I hope I don't get any grief from the builder and I guess the only way to rectify would be to replace the glass as I can't imagine there would be any way of getting the scratches out like you would on a car.
When you see the way many of the window's are dumped on-site it's
no wonder they appear with scratches and dents when installed.

I always wondered why they do not at least glad wrap the windows
when they literally drop them off in the dirt. Wouldn't this be cheaper for them
than a builder ringing up requesting replacements.

would it be fair to say Ed that in many home estates with so much dust/dirt around
that as you say time cleaning comes it's the dirt that scratches the window?
ozzroo
When you see the way many of the window's are dumped on-site it's
no wonder they appear with scratches and dents when installed.

I always wondered why they do not at least glad wrap the windows
when they literally drop them off in the dirt. Wouldn't this be cheaper for them
than a builder ringing up requesting replacements.

would it be fair to say Ed that in many home estates with so much dust/dirt around
that as you say time cleaning comes it's the dirt that scratches the window?

Hi Ozzroo
Ours are all wrapped. Windows are mostly damaged during construction with render or mortar splashes and someone wipes the stuff off when it's wet or the cleaner tries to scrape it off later. The method always leaves a tell tale pattern.

It's important that the windows arrive on site when the house is ready, any earlier and they sit around and are, as you say, prone to damage.

Never use a blade on glass, never use any hard sharp edge on toughened glass... you are likely to scratch it. Toughened glass has a logo on the corner (all doors are toughened). Toughened glass has a surface covered in "fines" which can be picked up on a blade and it's the fines that scratch glass.

If you clean glass make sure the cloth is perfectly clean.

Ed
Its not going to help you much now but i got all the windows covered in scratch protective goop. The whole house cost $150.

Seems, as usual, the HIA guideline is leaning heavily towards protecting the builder. 10mm long fracture or chip acceptable???

I wonder if the same stuff they use to repair chips in windscreens will reduce the appearance of scratches/chips in house glass?
wake_me
Its not going to help you much now but i got all the windows covered in scratch protective goop. The whole house cost $150.

Seems, as usual, the HIA guideline is leaning heavily towards protecting the builder. 10mm long fracture or chip acceptable???

I wonder if the same stuff they use to repair chips in windscreens will reduce the appearance of scratches/chips in house glass?

As mentioned before I haven't spoken to the SS yet so I shouldn't be a pessimist BUT if I have any problems with the builder replacing I guess I could also use something like the following, I shouldn't cross that bridge before I get to it though!
Some of our windows came with the plastic film over frame and glass. Others didn't have it and have scratches on the frame. I've raised this with our SS and he's looking into it. I certainly don't want touch up paint - will just look tacky.
Related
22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum