Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

are security screens worth it if they don't meet A standards

Page 1 of 1
hi all - i have been quoted just over $1700.00 by my builder for barrier screens - 14 sashes, double sliding doors and 1 hinged - is it worth the money if these barrier screens do not meet australian standards?

i don't have a problem spending the money if they will do the job properly, however don't like the idea of spending the extra money only to find that they are useless

even if i do just go with the fly screens that are offered as standard by the builder for the windows, i would still leave the 2 sliders and the screen door as barrier screens...

any opinions?
Living like in prison wouldn't be my cup of tea.
You could look at decent windows with decent hardware which allows secure ventilation without living behind "bars"
Building with Coral 2009
hi all - i have been quoted just over $1700.00 by my builder for barrier screens - 14 sashes, double sliding doors and 1 hinged - is it worth the money if these barrier screens do not meet australian standards?

i don't have a problem spending the money if they will do the job properly, however don't like the idea of spending the extra money only to find that they are useless

even if i do just go with the fly screens that are offered as standard by the builder for the windows, i would still leave the 2 sliders and the screen door as barrier screens...

any opinions?

Ahhh, Queensland... There is no such thing as barrier screens that don't meet the Australian standard... it was recognised by ACCC(?) some years ago that manufacturers were avoiding the issue of meeting the standards for security doors & screens by calling these "barrier" doors & screens. So authorities made it clear that they were both the same thing.

A major supplier in Qld was successfully sued a couple of years ago because a house was entered through a defective security door.

That said, only Qld has these on windows... wonder what that means?

I know... it means it's bloody hot in Qld and the windows get opened w-i-d-e night & day

Ed
thanks ed!
does that mean i should just skip the "barrier/security" screens?
Building with Coral 2009
thanks ed!
does that mean i should just skip the "barrier/security" screens?

Yes, I thought about that. Then I thought... if I was a thief (which I am not
) and I wanted to break into a house in a street and all the houses except one had security screens, that's the one I would pick.

(there again - I might think they had nothing worth stealing
)

Ed
Watch out for Ed!
This is an image of if him if he were a bugurglar
Fu Manchu
:lol: Watch out for Ed!
This is an image of if him if he were a bugurglar

Hey thanks Fu

You make me look so young...
Related
13/02/2024
Safety screens! Worth them?

Safer Living

Hi everyone. I am a single mother with little daughter, living in a small tourist town in WA Australia. I am thinking to install security screens to all the doors and…

19/05/2023
Finishing standards - advice needed

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Don't think they are designed for double brick. WA has a particular way of building and unfortunately that's the way a large amount of sills are finished.

26/05/2023
Reporting of Breach of aus standards ?

Building A New House

I believe this is correct. From the picture you can see the power was put in last so the electrician knew where the water was. Really it's a common sense issue more…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum