Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Built in robes : Sliding Vs hinged doors

Page 1 of 2
Just wondering if people prefer sliding or hinged doors

Also, any idea as to which is cheaper?
I like hinged as i think anything sliding just looks weird.

But I know alot of people here like the sliding robes/doors. I think if you dont mind the look of either, a sliding robe is more practical. It doesnt take up any room space, especially if you have smallish rooms. Sliding robes are more expensive than hinge ones, but I'm not too sure as to how much more expensive.
sliding cupboards should give you a little more access to the cupboard space, doors generally dont go all the way to the wall and that space in the corners is a bit hard to get to
another advantage of sliding is that you can place furniture or walls very close to them without worrying about being able to open the doors. I would not have been able to have a broom cupboard in my laundry if it wasn't sliding, as there wouldn't have been enough room for the doors to open.

A disadvantage is that you have to slide the doors back and forth to get into each side whn you're putting stuff away. But generally I am a fan of sliding
I think sliding doors are much better for BIR's. (actually I think I've mentioned this on Homeone before
), I installed sliding door robes in all bedrooms in my old house and have them in minor bedrooms here - never had any problem accessing anything and you don't lose opening space in the room the way you do with hinged doors.
Good point about furniture, Donuts - now that you mention it, we have a bookshelf in front of one door of the spare room BIR (the bookshelf is against the wall perpendicular to the robe), couldn't open the door if it was a hinged door. No problem accessing the corner of the robe - its just got rarely used items like suits, formal dresses etc.
I think it depends on the room that you have to open out the hinged doors. We have sliding robe doors at present but in the new house we will have opening doors in most rooms as space permits. Our sliding robe doors are really noisy and I hate it.
Quote:
Our sliding robe doors are really noisy and I hate it.

That's interesting, have not heard that comment or ever had that problem.

Do you need CLR or something on your tracks?
Helyn
Quote:
Our sliding robe doors are really noisy and I hate it.

That's interesting, have not heard that comment or ever had that problem.

Do you need CLR or something on your tracks?

We definately have had this conversation before
I cant stand the noise it makes as well and they are brand new...swisshhhhhh clunk, swissshhhhhhh clunk, swisssshhhhhhh clunk etc back and forth as the kids and my husband try and find what they need. Its the actual noise that makes my teeth grind. I thought I was the only one that was like this but after the previous thread, I am not alone

Seriously, sliders are the way to go under 'normal circumstances'....I thought I would like them as well
Its not until you live them you can really decide if they are for you or not.

Mrs B
what's CLR Helyn?

I find if I keep my tracks vacuumed they don't make a noise.

(and yes Mrs B I'm feeling the dejavu, we've definitely been here before
)
Maybe it's because they are on floorboards? This house is not on a slab, it's on low peirs so perhaps it echoes in the void under the house? But we do have carpet in the bedrooms, but not IN the wardrobes. I can hear my daughter in and out of her bedroom in the adjacent living room while I am watching TV. In the mornings while I am sleeping and DH is getting his work stuff together, I nearly scream! The tracks are sliding fine and they are vaccuumed (Dyson of course
) They are not new so that could be it too? I don't know but what I do know is that I hate the noise and I am not having them (Except in the study for space reasons) in the new house.

EDIT: I thought CLR was for baths and so forth to clean them up? The doors dont seem to need anything thing on them they slide fine.
i think he probably should have said silicone spray, the same stuff your supposed to use on your window tracks to get them sliding nicely
Yes, sorry, maybe its not called CLR
, we have a can of it in garage, ours is called WD-40, I guess there are different brands of this stuff.

Can't see what difference it would make whether floor was carpet or not, slab or not, as the doors slide inside the tracks, not directly onto the floor covering. Our old house had a floorboard base, this one has a slab, haven't noticed any difference.

Perhaps I am just getting deaf in my old age

PS: and I am a 'she'
sorry helyn, assumed male from the football logo, dont know too many girls that into footy around my parts

sorry
And you know men called "Helyn" ??
lol, damn forums, i read your post, then posted without thinking about it

this is why irc (or chat) is easier
Hinged everytime if you have the room. I hate sliding doors with a passion. And you're stuck with the colour. Hinged doors can be repainted. The sliding ones can be too, but they look crap when they have. I'm living with repainted ones at the moment and they look really horrible.

It's a PITA to have to go from side to side to see what's in the cupboard... who can be bothered?
Helyn
And you know men called "Helyn" ??

You so funny Helyn
I want to meet him if she does
No SuH I don't think a man named Helyn would be ""on your side of the fence", but I bet he would have fantastic decorating taste.....
gettingThere
Just wondering if people prefer sliding or hinged doors

Also, any idea as to which is cheaper?

Sliding door robes are usually about half the price of hinged door robes

wonderland
Sliding robes are more expensive than hinge ones, but I'm not too sure as to how much more expensive.

Sliding door robes are usually about half the price of hinged door robes

billdsl
sliding cupboards should give you a little more access to the cupboard space, doors generally dont go all the way to the wall and that space in the corners is a bit hard to get to

Sliding doors can go up to 2750mm high

donuts
another advantage of sliding is that you can place furniture or walls very close to them without worrying about being able to open the doors. I would not have been able to have a broom cupboard in my laundry if it wasn't sliding, as there wouldn't have been enough room for the doors to open.

A disadvantage is that you have to slide the doors back and forth to get into each side whn you're putting stuff away. But generally I am a fan of sliding

Sliding doors are good for small rooms like laundrys, but you can only access one side at a time
Hinged

Pros
* Hinges are easier to install than railings
* Easier to maintain – no railings for the door to fall off

Cons

* Needs space to swing through to open
* May be difficult to get the door perfectly square in the doorway

Sliding

Pros

* Require less space than a hinged door
* Pocket doors can be hidden, giving a clean aesthetic

Cons

* Rails can be hard to install
* Must have strong load-bearing structure above it to hang off
* Can slip off guard rail
Related
26/04/2024
Pivot door vs. hinged door?

Windows & Doors

920 was enough to get the furniture in. We live in a pretty safe area and it’s great to see people walking to the front door. We’re not too fussed about people…

14/05/2023
Sliding Doors

General Discussion

we have a standard size and often we have a lot of variety to choose

15/06/2023
Sliding doors

Windows & Doors

We are looking for sliding doors which are 5 metres tall. There are a few European options. Any manufacturers in Australia or distributors?

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum