Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Possibility of installing cavity doors after handover ?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I was wondering if it's easy to install a cavity door after the work is done on my house ?

I'm planning to leave the rumpus opening without a door, until I find a decent cavity door to install. I don't really like the look of 'Corinthain' doors.

Thanks

Edited: Yeah and PD are charging us $500 for the cavity door.
By the time you muck around, it's easier to get PD to do it and then change to the doors you want after handover.

You could ask them to do all the walls for the cavity sliders but not actually put the doors themselves on. But it won't save you much.

Better to get them to do it, sell the doors they give you on ebay for $50 then install your own. Will work out much cheaper than doing it post handover by the time you get a carpenter in to do it all.

Just one thing, figure out what doors you want to install, if they are a solid and heavy door, the track that the door is hung on and slides on, may need to be upgraded to take the weight.
Just a question.. how do they build the cavity?

ie. for my house it is just a big open space, where my two sliding doors will go.. I assume they build it during the fixing stage??
Try and get it done now...

It will be a huge head ache afterwards, and very costly as well.

good luck.
wakeboardandy

ie. for my house it is just a big open space, where my two sliding doors will go.. I assume they build it during the fixing stage??

to answer my own question.. I just looked through pictures of my parents build 5 years ago and see that they had a big gap and they install the cavity frame later...

Just wanted to make sure they didn't forget about my sliding doors to theatre!!
$500 each?!!
Our builder is doing 3 of them which we added after contract (pantry, ensuite and hallway) at no extra cost!! How do they justify that cost? I've heard they can be a bit of a bugger to install, but thats huge!

I often think they just put things in the too hard basket and charge whatever they want if theres a bit more work involved.
ICK
$500 each?!!
Our builder is doing 3 of them which we added after contract (pantry, ensuite and hallway) at no extra cost!! How do they justify that cost? I've heard they can be a bit of a bugger to install, but thats huge!

I often think they just put things in the too hard basket and charge whatever they want if theres a bit more work involved.

Your builder is good!!! Small builders are usually more flexible with things and more kind to the clients' pocket, I think. But still, doing that for you for free! Big thumb up for them!!
I asked for cavity doors for the kids WIR and was quoted $400 a piece. So they are getting normal doors.

If normal doors turn out to be to much of a hassle later in life I am probally going to have to do a sliding door on the outside which I don't really want to do.

But from watching my Dad put a cavity door into his ensuite I would say it is much easier to get it done when the building is being built. You never know where they are going to put wiring etc.
you have no chance after... you must do it whilst building... $500 sounds rich for a 2.1 flush panel door ...but if its 2.4 or a glazed white glass door its good value
wakeboardandy
wakeboardandy

to answer my own question.. I just looked through pictures of my parents build 5 years ago and see that they had a big gap and they install the cavity frame later...

Yes, that's it, it comes as a complete assembed unit. Not so expensive either...
Oh, don't do like I did... drill to put a shelf on the wall, right through the door...

Ed
ed @ EcoClassic
wakeboardandy
wakeboardandy

Yes, that's it, it comes as a complete assembed unit. Not so expensive either...

Funny thing is I saw the chippy installing the cavity today at my house.. Cost me $638 for double cavity.. seems expensive but I needed it to save floor space in the theatre room.
You can price them at Bowens... mine were free, a long, long, time ago - same builder as you...
Related
23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

29/06/2023
Installing a new shower do l need a plumber

Bathrooms and Laundry

Ask yourself if the insurance company will be aware of the Reno.

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum