Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Canterbury windows

Page 1 of 1
We used CanterburyWindows for a new home - first time builders - and we probably wouldn't use them again.

None of the windows were square. One window wasn't made according to the contract and we've been waiting since last November for a replacement.

It seems with a lot of companies,as someone told us, once they have your money they don't want to know you.
Helen,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't heard of Canterbury Windows, but now I know to be careful.

Cheers,
Casa
They're in Melbourne Casa. But they may be in Sydney - who knows.
Are you surprised

Had a look on their website and noticed that they use the same ancient window design with
19th century hardware as most timber joinery manufacturers in AUS/NZ.
Some use even putty for glazing

If you look beyond to Europe or North America you find that times have moved on and modern designed wooden joinery with modern hardware is as good and as functional as PVCu or european style Aluminium windows.

If you are after some decent wooden joinery:

Paarhammer Pty Ltd (Head Office)
11 Smallmans Road
Ballan, VIC 3342
Phone: 03 5368 1999
Fax: 03 5368 1993
WERS ANAC Ratings: WERS ANAC Paarhammer.pdf
www.paarhammer.com.au
I don't know if they do aluminium, wood or both, but we were told that if we want to change from sliding aluminium to awning windows (aluminim) the supplier would be Canterbury Windows instead of A&L Windows. I've got no idea which is better, and which company is better...
Was it through a builder that you got the windows or did you do the job yourself?

Ray.
Did it ourselves - first time owner-builders. We got other quotes but they were more expensive. It's all been a steep learning curve!
Helen

You have made a big mistake. You have chosen the "cheapest" on the paper instead of looking where you get the best for your money
I don't know if they do aluminium, wood or both, but we were told that if we want to change from sliding aluminium to awning windows (aluminim) the supplier would be Canterbury Windows instead of A&L Windows. I've got no idea which is better, and which company is better...
Was it through a builder that you got the windows or did you do the job yourself?

Canterbury aka Homeview make low cost high volume timber windows and commercial grade aluminium windows where they use the NZ Fairview suite. Their aluminium windows would be a higher quality and higher cost than A&L's own suite though A&L also make the Fairview suite as their "architectural" range. Canterbury are a respected company who may have a hearing problem - I suggest you write to their CEO John Edwards. I am sure he will care.
Are you surprised
Had a look on their website and noticed that they use the same ancient window design with
19th century hardware as most timber joinery manufacturers in AUS/NZ.
Some use even putty for glazing
If you look beyond to Europe or North America you find that times have moved on and modern designed wooden joinery with modern hardware is as good and as functional as PVCu or european style Aluminium windows.

The window industry here is driven by demand, as it is in the rest of the world. Everything you see in Europe or the US is available here, hardware, windows, the lot. Canterbury and many others use the US "Truth" winder arm on casements and Whitco chainwinders on awnings - Truth make a chainwinder too but it's huge in size and price. I agree uPVC is the future and it is engineered to perfection but it is too expensive here - too many greedy suppliers upselling to prices 4x what they should be instead of providing what the public wants. So in Australia & NZ we have a compromise. If you build yourself you can specify what you want and who you want (but you are limited by your buying power). If you use a builder you are usually stuck with the deals they have done, and mostly the windows are low cost.
Does anyone have an email address for Canterbury Windows? I ordered windows and they made and sent them and were not what was quoted or ordered. They are too big to fit the stud openings. I asked for 1200 x 1200 and received 1250 x 1245. I was told they would be replaced five weeks ago now they're back tracking saying it's my fault.
Consumer Affairs have recommended I go to VCAT however I'll provide this feedback to their business.
Cheers.
Sam701
Does anyone have an email address for Canterbury Windows? I ordered windows and they made and sent them and were not what was quoted or ordered. They are too big to fit the stud openings. I asked for 1200 x 1200 and received 1250 x 1245. I was told they would be replaced five weeks ago now they're back tracking saying it's my fault.
Consumer Affairs have recommended I go to VCAT however I'll provide this feedback to their business.
Cheers.

Can I help?
Hi,

I ordered two awning windows to replace to sliding windows and gave them outside dimensions for the frame. I'm sent two windows that are larger than ordered and don't fit between the existing studs. They're no good and I want the sizes I ordered so I can replace the windows at home..and they have refused so I lodged a claim with Consumer Affairs and they've recommended I take it to VCAT.
This doesn't make any sense.

Why not elevate it with the window company... who is it?
I sent an email to the sales department with a timeline on the conversations and outcomes.

Hopefully it gets to the right person.

Failing that, I'll engage VCAT.
Sam701
I sent an email to the sales department with a timeline on the conversations and outcomes.

Hopefully it gets to the right person.

Failing that, I'll engage VCAT.

send it to the Financial Controller
Related
22/05/2023
Bedroom Windows questions

Building A New House

Personally, considering your layout (study/work desks in bedrooms), I don't think you have any other option but to leave NW windows and make them as big as possible e.g.…

30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum