Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Double glazing specs - should I change anything?

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone

We are just about to finalise our window & door order and I wanted to get some advice on whether the proposed setup/specifications are OK - or if there is anything in particular that I should request changes to.

Because we are going with timber frames and have a fair bit of glazing, we are already stretching our budget a fair bit - so only really looking for 'cost neutral' changes or anything that might actually save us money!

Basically, the whole house will have double glazing - with the exception being in the bathroom/laundry/garage - areas that will be closed off almost all the time and away from the main living areas, so hopefully won't result in much heat loss. (These windows will be single glazed 6.38mm trans, lam).

The majority of the double glazed windows are currently specified as 4mm TG/8mm air/4mm TG with the exception being a couple of quite large north facing windows, which are specified as 10mm TG/14mm air/10.38mm low-E (ComfortPlus). There are also a couple of other large openings which are 5mm TG/12mm air/5mm TG.

Does this sound ok or should I be asking for any modifications??

Oh...and the company we are going through make all the windows and doors to order, so there is no issue with being stuck to "standard" window/door setups.

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Adam
BuildingACT,

Your 8 mm air gap sounds too little. I've specified 12 mm minimum and anything from 12 mm to 16 mm sounds like the go.

Cheers,
Casa
I agree with Casa2 12-16 mm is right and it should make no difference in the cost.
Thanks for the responses guys.

If I ask for all the air gaps to be increased to 12mm, does the glass thickness also need to be increased or will 4mm be ok for the basic windows?

Thanks again!!
Glass thickness will not be affected. (However, need to check that you're selected frames can handle the overall width.)
Casa2
Glass thickness will not be affected. (However, need to check that you're selected frames can handle the overall width.)

Ok, great - I'll follow it up and see what they say!!

Oh...and as the frames are made to spec for all windows/doors...i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be a problem adjusting the width! Hopefully they don't try and charge me any more!!
Related
16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

15/08/2023
How hard to change CDC plan for a brick veneer to double bri

Building A New House

depends on your council, some 1 day some 14 days

22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum