Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Double glazed and laminated windows?

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone come accross or heard of double glazed and laminated windows?

I'm building with PD and would like my windows to have double glazing to keep the heat in and laminated at the same time to make it more strong and secure.
Can be done - but the security is only as good as the window construction - PD use Bradnams, Dowell and A&L... none are flash in the security department. So the glass or the sash could be taken out completely.

But in short, yes... the narrowest laminated glass is 6.38mm combined with a sensible plain clear glass thickness of 4 or 5mm then all of the standard suppliers will have a very narrow air gap of between 4mm and 8mm.

Ed
I just put in a medium sized window using 6mm laminated glass and the noise level to the busy road next to our house is so much quieter. Highly recommend it. We got ours custom made from Canterbury Windows and it was a very reasonable price. Half the cost of the double glazed quote.
fencer1
I just put in a medium sized window using 6mm laminated glass and the noise level to the busy road next to our house is so much quieter. Highly recommend it.

Laminated makes very little difference unless it's a very special (& expensive laminated) the greatest difference is by having a greater glass thickness. In double glazing that can be improved by having different thicknesses for each piece of glass this greatly helps the sound attenuation. The ability to reduce sound is measured by the STC - Sound Transmission Class.

fencer1
We got ours custom made from Canterbury Windows and it was a very reasonable price. Half the cost of the double glazed quote.

What you pay, really depends where you go for your windows. Our window rates STC 34.5... far better than the Canterbury laminated.

Ed
ed @ EcoClassic
The ability to reduce sound is measured by the STC - Sound Transmission Class.

Some typical STC ratings of glazing treatments.

http://www.jglacoustics.com/acoustics/s ... lazing.pdf
dymonite69
ed @ EcoClassic
The ability to reduce sound is measured by the STC - Sound Transmission Class.

Some typical STC ratings of glazing treatments.

http://www.jglacoustics.com/acoustics/s ... lazing.pdf

I see there is no specification of the laminated glass. Having tested a window at RMIT under proper test conditions, I can say that standard laminated glass @ 6.38 made a 1dB imrprovement in STC versus plain annealed glass. That is negligible.

I have a report from the foremost authority in Australia who backs up this.

Ed
Related
16/01/2024
Double glazed aluminium windows-doors- slimline?

Windows & Doors

I don't know them all, the first 2 top of your list are best known. Rylock is a good company, Stegbar is for sale.

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

2/03/2024
Flashing above doors and windows

General Discussion

Flashings over doorways and windows our carpenter has installed flashings that is buckled and short of the window frames and door frames is this right Is there a…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum