Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Canvas retractable awning blinds

Page 1 of 1
We have a 1920s weatherboard house in Ballarat.

When we bought the house, all windows had retractable awning blinds on the outside, mounted to the timber window frames. Striped canvas which retracts into a sheetmetal box at the top of the window - very common around these parts. They're great for keeping the heat out in summer.

We modified the back half of the house last year. I kept the blinds from the old windows. They're about the right size for the new window... but...

...the new window is Aluminium framed.

How does one attach such an awning blind in this instance? The storage box looks as though it attaches just with a couple of wood screws at either end, and the guide rails have two screw holes at the bottom.

If I was to attach it direct to the weatherboards, I suspect it would pull out in no time at all. I doubt I'd be lucky enough that the width of these existing awnings would match the stud spacing of the new wall... and I don't know how I'd find the studs through the weatherboards anyway.

Should I build a timber surround for the window and attach to it? At least that would allow me to spread the load on the weatherboard out.

It's heating up down here, and the Minister for Defense and Home Affairs wants an awning on that window... yesterday...

Thanks for any suggestions,
Tim
Just screw them in... if they come adrift then use cavity fixings...

Or fasten them to the aluminium windows - using rivets.

Ed

Cavity fixing thingies!

Why didn't I think of that
Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

29/10/2023
Outdoor Blinds for Pergola

Outdoor Living

About a year ago, I embarked on a DIY project to construct an outdoor Pergola, which measures approximately 5.2 meters by 4.0…

21/04/2024
Question about motorised roller blinds

Window Furnishings

I have motorised roller blinds in my house. I motorised all the blinds I use a lot and the ones that don’t get used too often I didn’t. I went through Motorise My…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum