Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Sliding door frame to alfresco

Page 1 of 1
Hi!

Just a quick question/advice around a renovation that we are doing... The builder has installed new sliding doors to the alfresco, but the bottom of the frame/track sits above the internal floor (instead of being flush) - meaning you have to step over it to go inside and out (tripping hazard). I am assuming the original measurements taken were wrong?

Is there are a builders code around this re compliance?

Thank you for your assistance.
thats how most of these are installed. Having a flush fit is possible, but its not standard. Its about as much a tripping hazard as stepping into the shower. Probably less.
Noname
thats how most of these are installed. Having a flush fit is possible, but its not standard. Its about as much a tripping hazard as stepping into the shower. Probably less.

So its normal nowadays to have the frame and track sit above the floor and not flushed. Okay interesting, I haven't seen any sliding doors installed where the bottom frame and track are not flush with the floor.
a quick google image search of "alfresco sliding doors" will be a surprise to you then, as +90% of the images show just that.
In order to have the frame flush with the floor the slab has to have a rebate so the sill sits down.
In a new build it's not to hard, but it does need to be specified, it's not a standard specification.
For a reno with an existing slab the rebate would need to be cut.
Noname is correct that the vast majority of sliding doors sit straight on the slab and you step over the sill rather than it being flush.
red silk
So its normal nowadays to have the frame and track sit above the floor and not flushed. Okay interesting, I haven't seen any sliding doors installed where the bottom frame and track are not flush with the floor.

Has pretty much always been the standard approach to save on costs. We specified rebating the tracks in our build for our largest sliding doors, and it was a fiddly, and thus costly, process.
Thank you Chippy, arcadelt, Noname
arcadelt
red silk

Has pretty much always been the standard approach to save on costs. We specified rebating the tracks in our build for our largest sliding doors, and it was a fiddly, and thus costly, process.

came standard with our builder, we were surprised.
noname can you share who you are building and what design? Thanks
sjacob
@noname can you share who you are building and what design? Thanks

Boutique - Providence 32

Related
18/04/2024
Hebel + steel frame vs brick+ timber frame

General Discussion

This is 100% true. You can not hang anything on steel frames. very frustrating

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum