Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Gaps in Aluminium Window/Door frames

Page 1 of 1
Hi, Hoping I might be able to get some advice. We have gaps in our sliding door/window frames. Everything I google seems to come up with solutions for gaps between the wall and the window, but not gaps in the actual frame. Does anyone know what we can do about this?

We also have a problem with the window seal shrinking away from the corners of the same windows. If anyone has advice about what caulking we should use or if there's another solution?

Caulk the glass in with silicone. The aluminium also needs to be filled at the gaps. The rubber seals have been stretched when the window was assembled and they have shrunken back to their normal size. The cut aluminium is just poor quality
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for what we fill the aluminium in with? I think it’s hollow so we’re not sure if whatever we use will just fall into the frame.

Would you say both jobs are simple enough to do ourselves? We haven’t been able to find anyone to help us out with it yet.
Simple yes, but messy if you have never done it before. There are trades that can do this for you - try Facebook marketplace. Use the same silicone to cover the aluminium gaps, or buy some builders' bog in Bunnies
ECOECO
Simple yes, but messy if you have never done it before. There are trades that can do this for you - try Facebook marketplace. Use the same silicone to cover the aluminium gaps, or buy some builders' bog in Bunnies

Thanks for your help!
You're welcome!!!
Hi,

I would recommend to have the rubber seals removed and caulked with a UV stable silicone, as the rubbers shrinking and pulling away at the corners will be caused by exposure to the sun. We do plenty of this and were just actually doing one today, feel free to head over to our website at https://www.correctcaulking.com.au/Caulking-Melbourne/ and send us an email if you would like some more advice.

Thanks,

Jono-Correct Caulking
CorrectCaulking
Hi,

I would recommend to have the rubber seals removed and caulked with a UV stable silicone, as the rubbers shrinking and pulling away at the corners will be caused by exposure to the sun. We do plenty of this and were just actually doing one today, feel free to head over to our website at https://www.correctcaulking.com.au/Caulking-Melbourne/ and send us an email if you would like some more advice.

Thanks,

Jono-Correct Caulking

The biggest reason for the seals pulling away from the corners is the fabricator stretching the seal during assembly.

Ed
Related
29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

12/01/2024
Gaps in window jabs

General Discussion

Sorry I missed this, simply put this is a pathetic job, and as it stands it is non-compliant... I think the worst part is not in the quality of the workmanship so much…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum