Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Help! Glazing options for new build - lots of windows

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am building a large two storey home in Sydney (north west)

Cold winter mornings (zero or below) . Hot summer afternoons...

We have 3 large direct north facing windows.
Two are double stacked within a void (3600Wx2400H) below the top floor window (3600h x 2400h) Next are the stair window 1500wx2400h

Close to this area in the dining room and living room we have a large sliding stacker 4.0x3.2m glass sliding door that runs nearly the full wall lengths. One side is north the other side is west however this is adjacent to alfresco so has an effective eave.

Lastly there is our lounge room window facing west. 3000x2400h

We don’t want some windows tinted and some not etc.

I thought double glazing for northern windows. With external shade for ground floor window (as it doesn’t have an eave)

I’m not sure however what to do with the sliding stacker doors in the western window? I could get a low e coating but from what I’ve seen these change the colour of the window is that correct?

All the windows are in line of sight I would want them the same colour tone so not sure best approach.

Ground floor plan attached

Thanks in advance

Don't mess around with tinting you will be disappointed. Don't think of using Low-E, again you will be disappointed because it won't stop enough solar heat gain and you will wonder if you even have low-E. (But soft coat in DGUs is least noticeable.

Instead shade the windows with a 90 degree canopy of aluminium slats. It is the most effective solution,
Western windows are a killer - can you change the design to get rid of or minimised it?

With respect to glass colour, I don’t believe you will notice. We have large windows too, and due to size, we couldn’t have exactly the same glass. I just can’t tell which is which, and reflections ensure that the colour is ever changing anyway.
Thanks so much for the replies and advice.

ECOECO I’ve been following a lot of your replies and can see you know a thing or two about glass!

I opted against tinting.

The double glazing prices were 3k per window on top of the 2k frame upgrades!

I have left them as they are.

I basically have one western window after changing the design of the house substantially, one is all I can get down to so will look at doing the aluminium slat which should compliment the external design...
Bcr83
Thanks so much for the replies and advice.

ECOECO I’ve been following a lot of your replies and can see you know a thing or two about glass!

I opted against tinting.

The double glazing prices were 3k per window on top of the 2k frame upgrades!

I have left them as they are.

I basically have one western window after changing the design of the house substantially, one is all I can get down to so will look at doing the aluminium slat which should compliment the external design...

Crazy prices
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

16/01/2024
Now It's 0.3mm Gap For Double Glazing. It beats all the rest

Windows & Doors

This is one of the reasons I decided to go overseas for my double glazed windows. As the builder indicated, he's worked on many upmarket builds, these were the most well…

29/03/2024
Certification for glazing and aluminium window/door frames

Windows & Doors

For your reference Performance Labels: Window assemblies in housing, except timber windows, must be labelled so the label can be seen when it is in situ. For timber…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum