Join Login
Building ForumWindows & Doors

Frameless glass balustrade on sliding door

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

we've got a sliding door on the first floor bedroom with a balustrade that needs to be removed/replaced.

I've come across pictures of frameless glass balustrades for sliding doors.

Can these be safely mounted to existing aluminium window frames rather than to the wall on either side?

Is that something a window company could custom make?

karcher.cc

I'm sure they could, but the more important question is whether it would meet Australian Standards, as those pictures you posted look like Europe, where they seem to rely more on the sense of the home owners. I'd check with your Council's development department and see what they say before approaching window companies.

Just a question though, what is the attraction to something like this, rather than a full length window, with a split so only the top part opens? You might even be able to get a window with a top half that is a bifold or French door that allows the full width of open.
arcadelt
karcher.cc

I'm sure they could, but the more important question is whether it would meet Australian Standards, as those pictures you posted look like Europe, where they seem to rely more on the sense of the home owners. I'd check with your Council's development department and see what they say before approaching window companies.

Just a question though, what is the attraction to something like this, rather than a full length window, with a split so only the top part opens? You might even be able to get a window with a top half that is a bifold or French door that allows the full width of open.

All very good points. Yes, those photos are from a UK company.

The sliding door in question is part of a three section window, so replacing the entire window would be north of 8k and I am simply looking for a more cost effective solution.
You need a balustrade for it to be compliant unfortunately.
Berek
You need a balustrade for it to be compliant unfortunately.

I know, I just can’t find any information as to what the specifications of a balustrade are (apart from height requirement.)

If you knew how wonky the current balustrade is, you’d think a spider web would be safer 😀.

I was just hoping, a glass panel as seen in the photos would qualify as a balustrade (provided its affixed appropriately)
You’ll need to get a hold of the AS. I did read once whilst looking at this type of thing, the balustrade was to hold a person if the glass broke. Funny how Bunnings can sell stuff that doesn’t list as being to standard.

Barrier loading forces: A barrier, except a window serving as a barrier, must be designed to take loading forces in accordance with AS/NZS 1170.1

3.6.4.4 Glazed panels, other than doors or side panels, on the perimeter of rooms

All framed glazing where the lowest sight line of the glazing panel is less than 500 mm from the highest abutting finished floor level (see Figure 3.6.2) must be—

(a) Grade A safety glazing material in accordance with Table 3.6.5; or

(b) ordinary annealed glass not less than 5 mm nominal thickness provided that the area of the glazing panel is not more than 1.2 m2 .
Yes you can do this, but these days the glass balustrade will need a handrail in Australia set at 1m. Toughened glass 10mm thick. fastened 4 corners every metre.
ECOECO
Yes you can do this, but these days the glass balustrade will need a handrail in Australia set at 1m. Toughened glass 10mm thick. fastened 4 corners every metre.

I note you are in Melbourne. Is this something you could supply?
karcher.cc
ECOECO

I note you are in Melbourne. Is this something you could supply?

Possibly email me what you want with pics of that door.

Thanks
Ed
Related
26/11/2023
Frameless bath screen.

General Discussion

Thanks for the advise,much appreciated👍

1/08/2023
Double glazed sliding door recomendations? (Melbourne)

Windows & Doors

I’m in a similar position except I’m after sliding 3 stacking doors. I am on a second-story apartment of which the balcony would not adequately fit any bi-fold or…

You are here
Building ForumWindows & Doors
Home
Pros
Forum