Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Leaching tannin.

Page 1 of 1

Hi all.

As you can see, a table I made is leaching tannins onto light coloured pavers and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to remove this?

Also will this eventually stop leaching from the hardwood, or will I need to seal it?
Pavers are pretty porous so that is going to be tough to get out. I presume either high pressure cleaning or the use of some form of chemical cleaner is going to be your best bet.
Thanks for your response arcadelt. I have given it a good go with a scrubbing brush, hot water and detergent, and a truck load of elbow grease, and just fading it somewhat but still not much good. Will try with a gurni, failing that I'm contemplating ripping up the pavers and replacing with fake turf. Will test the turf for staining before I do though...
Use Oxalic acid. You can buy it as deck cleaner in the paint section of Bunnings or use this product: Diggers 2kg Rust & Stain Cleaner
It's Oxalic acid as well.
It removes tannins. You can use it to wash the table and it will eventually stop leaching the tannins which cause the stains.
We've had that problem with tannin from ironbark cladding onto limestone wall and the only thing that would remove it was liquid pool chlorine 50:50 with water and stiff bristle scrubbing brush.
Cleaner 303, which is one of our products, will remove this! Search for it under the name of Miteq.

Also,consider to a seal while you're at it...couldn't hurt.
Related
You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum