Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Aggregate Spider cracks

Page 1 of 1
Hi, Guys looking for some advice in dealing with this.

The aggregate was poured last October by a company here in Perth using Holcim concrete. The total pour was around 160sqm of which 50sqm was honed. After the pour had been completed the agg was acid washed and sealed, however after the sealing we noticed that concrete was still getting into the concrete some way. We look at the possibilities that the sealer being used was maybe not doing its job. I then brought someone else to seal the concrete using a different sealer yet same result. The hair line crack's on the honed aggregate is so depressing, to say the least. The company here in WA who poured the concrete came through the house today and they cannot work out why it has happened. They tell me they used the correct mesh etc and have never seen anything like this before. As I said to them if that's the case then the issue would be with the concrete mix. Either way, the issue needs to be resolved.

I advised them today that I have spoken with the WA building commission and will be lodging and "notice of proposed complaint" form which will give them 14 days to resolve the issues. They are going to speak with the Holcim Rep to get him to come and view the mess that is my aggregate.

Hoping to get some feedback and advice with this.

This link has photos on the honed agg : http://imgur.com/a/TBQAU
The sealer has magnified the spider web cracking.

What's happening is water is entering the cracks and thus the darker colour. Where there is no cracks the water is not getting through due to the sealer and the colour is not changing.

The cracks aren't structural and purely cosmetic. I doubt you'll get the satisfaction your expecting, but keep us informed.

Plenty of reasons why it's happened, but it's more than likely allowing excessive bleed water to accumulate and dilute the cement paste at the surface.
Hi LynneB thanks for your input. For your information i did get the "satisfaction" i was looking for which was a total replacement of all the aggregate. I guess its all about hiring the right people to prepare the right documentation for the building commison to get the right results.
Congratulations on a successful outcome!

Any pics of the new job?
Hello

I have similar problem with spider hairline cracks appearing first appearing soon after my driveway was poured around June 2016. Since then the number of such spider web cracks are multiplying which looks a real mess when wet. My fear is these hairline cracks are widening. My builder did confirm this week he has never seen such a mess and will revert. We used Hanson concrete.

Would appreciate any advise on this matter
Hi I have read your post regarding your fine cracks appearing in your aggregate, I had honed aggregate poured in Aug/September and I am now experiencing the same issue as you with everyday more cracks appearing . I have contacted the company Terrastone and their rep has visited and said the fine cracks can’t be avoided but they will come back and seal the cracks when they are competly dry to stop moisture coming up leaving the dark patches. However since they visited more fine hairline cracks are appearing and I can only attribute this to the sudden hot temperatures that have started in Perth.
I would appreciate any help in following this up and who I can go to get an independent assessment and what has caused them.

Many thanks

Keren
Hi guys
First experience with aggregate and honed aggregate. Brand new house.
I also have this problem with cracking in the honed alfresco area. Not as bad as the pics above. This work was only finished 4 weeks ago and we haven't moved in yet. I noticed a water mark from the edge to the wall and now it has a crack along the line. It comes out from were they cut with the saw. Looks like a slip with the saw as there is no expansion join close by. I have contacted the concreter and was told concrete does crack and it says that on the invoice. How do we fix it and stop it from getting bigger?
There have been a few other issues that need rectifying ie broken drain, damaged down pipe, concrete splash on the texture coated walls and cedar external ceilings
. Cost $19.5 k for the driveway, all around the house and alfresco area. Really disappointed. They are busy with other jobs and 'haven't forgotten about us'. Do we have to simply suck it up ?
really regretting going for this option.
Cheers.
New build 2020
How do we fix it and stop it from getting bigger?
There have been a few other issues that need rectifying ie broken drain, damaged down pipe, concrete splash on the texture coated walls and cedar external ceilings

Welcome to the forum
correct and properly place reinforcement and concrete doesn't crack in that way,
It sounds like they did a poor job, did you have it properly inspected during the works?

New build 2020
Cost $19.5 k for the driveway, all around the house and alfresco area. Really disappointed. They are busy with other jobs and 'haven't forgotten about us'. Do we have to simply suck it up ?
really regretting going for this option.
Cheers.

When I entered the building industry you could put the house slab down for $3K without it cracking.
So much for consumer protection, sorry I don't agree with sucking it up. Lodge a complaint cowboys need to be taken out of the industry

You could have solved the issue with proper design/engineering details and specifications and an engineers inspection.
Private Building inspections-> concretor
LOL forget their Bulls!t disclaimer
(OT if you purchased a product ( $20K car) and it is defective you would reject it or take it back.. these are your basic rights)
Cheers
Chris
Related
30/05/2023
Rendered cladding walls cracks

General Discussion

The spacing of the studs looks pretty large especially for a load bearing wall.

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

4/10/2023
Mending cracks in render

General Discussion

Do you have a scope of works? If have texture on wall now, the patch will show through The standard for repair of texture is to patch, re-texture corner to corner,…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum