Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

DIY outdoor honed/burnished/polished concrete.

Page 1 of 1
Hi.

Next project on the list is to build a couple of concrete walking steps.

I would to make this steps out of honed/burnished/polished concrete. Not sure if that is the correct term for outdoor use.

Each step 1.5*0.5 m, so will be mixing it myself.

So my question is, what is the best way of doing this?

-Do I mix with cement/sand/bluemetal and add my preferred aggregate on top while it is slightly wet and smooth it in?
-orrr. Do I replace the bluemetal with my preferred aggregate?

As for grinding it, is a handheld cement grinder sufficient? Kennards seems to have a 'Terrazzo handheld grinder'.

thank you for your replies.
Sometimes Bunnings etc have classes for such things. Have you done this type of thing before ?
not polished concrete.

Ill keep an eye on my local bunnings to see if they have classes in the future.
Did you do this?

A couple of ways it can be done.
1. When the concrete is touch dry, spray it with water, this will lift the top layer off and leave the aggregate exposed, it will be a rough finish see here. Don't do it too early, it needs to be touch dry.
http://youtu.be/nMQEffb35FM

2. Buy small river pebbles, Bunnings have some and throw this on top of the finished concrete after you have screened it and softly push this in half way with a trowel. More costly but I think looks better.
http://youtu.be/ndQNoqnwzN4

Some guys also work the pebbles into the top and then spray it off, but to me that's just extra work.

You can grind if you want but the above 2 may be less work/ mess ( and I'm all about that)

Good luck if it's not yet done.
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum