Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

DIY - Paving my Driveway - Got some questions

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Been on these forums since building my house, been slowly doing all the landscaping etc, now I'm up to my driveway.

Ok so I'm paving my driveway, I've got a concrete base already in and its about 60 sqm.

The drop from the garage to the slab is 90mm the drop from the cross over to the slab is 80mm. My pavers are 65mm thick so I need a sand bedding of 25mm slopping down to 15mm. The slab has a natural slope down the driveway to the road so no need to add anything etc for water run off etc...

I've been reading and asking around about the process to follow when laying pavers and I seem to be getting conflicting advice.

My question is do you lay the sand and compact that to the correct level I require and then lay pavers

OR

Do I lay my sand down to a height just a bit more than I need, level it off then lay my pavers and then use a compacter to get it to the level I require?

If the second option how much is 15-25mm of sand going to compact? The sand I'm using is a Paving Sand made to Australian Standards from my local landscape supplier.

Pavers getting delivered tomorrow, sand on Wednesday then starting on Thursday

Thanks

Dave.
I'd go with Option 1 and add 5% cement to the sand. The cement will help to stop any further compaction that could leave you with an uneven surface.

Option 2 IMHO is more for experienced layers of pavers
Thanks for that Bashworth
Use render, sand and cement 3-1 mix, since you have a concrete base, only if you know what your doing though because you only get one go at it when using cement, else just go with laying pavers on course sand (without cement) using the old rubber mellet pounding technique, thats what I would recommend.
Related
6/12/2023
Anyone got owner builder permit to build a duplex in NSW ?

Owner Builder Forum

If so what were the "special circumstances" under which it was granted? "Note: If the development consent is for 'dual occupancy' an owner-builder permit can only be…

29/08/2023
Sandstone crazy paving quote

Landscape & Garden Design

I had 28m2 of engineered pavers laid six months back and it was difficult to find someone not taking the pi$$. Internet suggested it should be $85-100/m2 to lay them.…

26/12/2023
Paving Concrete Over Termguard Pipes

Building A New House

As most others have posted above the install isn't compliant. The pipe is meant to be covered in loose soil or sand, the pipe has holes in it that leaks out a termicide…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum