Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

DIY making your own concrete pavers ?

Page 1 of 1
has anyone had any experience in making their own concrete pavers ?

I have a couple of pathways to make and just want to use pretty random paving blocks, looking at what is commercially available they are expensive and these are going to be pretty utilitarian, just connecting the house and the shed area.

We plan to put low gardens around them and just use the pavers as stepping stones.

I am wondering what size they can be made without steel reinforcing?

I have some lengths of boxing timber that I was planning on making into a mould then just pouring the concrete into that.

Probably about 7 cm deep, that is the size of the wood

hints, suggestions, yes, no, don't even attempt this warnings ?????

thanks in advance

Doug
If you are going to do them 7cm thick I would cast them in place as they are going to be heavy to move.

You shouldn't need reinforcement.
How thick do you think they would need to be ?

I am just guessing !
As long as they are fairly small say 600 across 50mm should be OK. If you are not going to cast them in place some reinforcement may be worthwhile as there will be extra stress when you move them and during the laying process.
50 mm should be fine if just foot traffic otherwise 75mm maybe required.

I have done this on a few occasions.

Building some moulds is on my to do list as I'm constantly having left over concrete.

600 square a good size.

Buy some colour concrete surface cement to sprinkle on top for the various colours.

This is not just oxide although would also work but more expensive something like below.

http://www.concretingsupplies.com.au/pr ... ucts_id/50

If you have some scrap steel laying use that or maybe add some chicken wire.

Concrete without any steel does tend to crack easier than you might think but try some out first and see how you go.

Also buy an edging tool for round edges.

Voila.

Is it cheaper buggered if I know.

Good Luck

Pulpo
thanks

We are about 2 hours from melbourne and 30 mins out of town so transport adds to the costs of stuff like this.

I have the timber for the edging so I thought I could custom build some.

I will hit the scrap metal places for some steel rod.

( oh and margo would prefer rectangular pavers
i've seen 70x70x8.5cm blocks, but dunno if they have any steel in them(they prolly do).
they might have even been cast onto a sandy ground... dunno.
surface needs 10cm tight sand below the plates anyway.. plates themselves 6-8cm thick.. and if you pour them, the first 4cm needs to be tightened up, then rebar added, then leave 1cm space from the top, tighten the mixture again and then add the rest... to get the final piece out from the mould more easily, you could lubricate the sides with mineral oil before pouring...
http://www.pavermaker.com/howto.html#bm

what about the paver maker?
im going to get one of these just to have a bit of fun around the block
Related
28/04/2024
House Designs making use of wide (~ 20m) frontage

Building A New House

Any good architect or building designer will be able to tailor design a home to suit not just your block width but also the site aspect, orientation and your lifestyle. …

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

19/11/2023
Expertise on keeping large pavers in place driveway

Renovation + Home Improvement

Appreciate that Chippy. I won’t do sand under pavers and will connect all up under pavers, however I was going to do: 1) Roadbase compacted with manual hand tamper 2)…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum