Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

Best sealer for limestone pavers?

Page 1 of 2
Getting our driveway paved in 2 weeks using Reconstituted Limestone pavers (Bonita) and wondering what the best sealer would be to use.

We don't want a glossy driveway and we don't want to see tyre marks

I would prefer solvent based, but there seems to be a lot of water based sealers out there.
Anyone had experience with KLEN products?

Cheers
Hi,

Solvent based sealers will tend to give you the best protection against staining. Water based should be ok to. Always do a test area to be sure in an inconspicious area. Just know that these types of sealers (no matter who's) wont stop the tyre marks, only make them easier to remove as the stain will be held higher to the surface. Mit3q is excellent in removing tyre marks should they occur mit3q

To give my products a plug, Miteq Sealer 103 will do what you ask for. We currently have a stockist *********. He is expecting stock next week some time. Info can be found here mit3q

If you have any further questions ask...hope that helps
edited by a Mod
Thanks miteq, I'll give Permatech a call next week for pricing etc.
Penetrant sealers are miles ahead of any topical coating that will wear off.
I can vouch for the miteq sealers, I use them on all our jobs. The price at first glance you may think is high but you get what you pay for. I had a mate use a cheapy wet look sealer from bunnings for $60 which ruined 50m² of paving and cost him $4000 to get it removed and resealed by Claytek.

Usually we use the 102 and 103 penetrating sealer which will offer the best protection through the pores of the paver without affecting the looks. Goes on very easy too.
Anyone ever used dry treat or stain proof ?
keen
Anyone ever used dry treat or stain proof ?

It's actually the same product...dry-treat stain proof. Penetrative sealer that won't change the look of the pavers. One of my competitors but i think they are good sealers (beleive it or not), maby just a little pricey compared to others that perform just as good

check out the other mentioned product/s as well, just as good
miteq

Mate how many liters will I need for 71sqm of reconstituted limestone paving using your 103 ?
Aquamix 'sealers choice Gold' is one of the best penetrating sealers you could possibly use. Its water based (which is safer and ideal for liquid limestone). Solvent based products are not necessary and no more effective with this surface.

I actually have some that you might like to get off me if you want to contact me. Will have to check how much I have, and how much you would need though.

Aquamix is a company dedicated specifically to sealing products for stone, grout etc. Their ongoing research and development places them as being among the finest products available.

Ash.
Rex
miteq

Mate how many liters will I need for 71sqm of reconstituted limestone paving using your 103 ?

Should be around 12litres of product.
miteq

Popped into Permatech today and saw the nice miteq display that was set up just yesterday
Rex
Popped into Permatech today and saw the nice miteq display that was set up just yesterday

Must admit I hadn't heard of Miteq, so I just looked up their info online. Being a speciality company producing products for masonry sealing, sounds like their products should be very good.

What I tend to advise against is the very much cheaper sealers that are commonly sold at hardwares etc. They are often less sophisticated 'me too' products made by paint companies, and their comparitive cheap price tag should give some indication to their performance.

Ash.
Rex
miteq

great to see, hope they helped you out with any information you needed.
royalblue
Rex

Must admit I hadn't heard of Miteq, so I just looked up their info online. Being a speciality company producing products for masonry sealing, sounds like their products should be very good.

What I tend to advise against is the very much cheaper sealers that are commonly sold at hardwares etc. They are often less sophisticated 'me too' products made by paint companies, and their comparitive cheap price tag should give some indication to their performance.

Ash.

The above is very important to us as well. It is important that ppl understand the difference between us and hardware store products. Not just in quality but experience and tech. knowledge. Doesn't matter if you buy our product or someone else, as long as the quality is there.

PS: thanx for the vote of confidence
Which sealer is suitable for Clay Pavers? If any.

I am concerned about the tyre marks, that my car currently leaves on the un-sealed clay pavers.

Will sealing them make it easier to clean?
What is the Lt/SQM rate that I need to apply sealer for a clay paver?
Are there any cons to sealing the pavers, apart from cost?
Are Miteq sealers available in QLD?

Thank you
I'd also like to ask, what is the best sealer to use for concrete pavers?

The manufacturing website doesn't state which product to use it just has this warning.

WARNING: Hydrochloric acid is NOT recommended for use with
Stylestone® pavers as irreparable surface damage may occur.
pickledmuffin
Which sealer is suitable for Clay Pavers? If any.

I am concerned about the tyre marks, that my car currently leaves on the un-sealed clay pavers.

Will sealing them make it easier to clean?
What is the Lt/SQM rate that I need to apply sealer for a clay paver?
Are there any cons to sealing the pavers, apart from cost?
Are Miteq sealers available in QLD?

Thank you

To answer a few of your questions for you. Clay pavers tend to be a bit more dense than other pavers so i would probably recommed solvent based for your particualr application. Definalty penetrating sealers if you dont want to change the look of the pavers. As for cleaning, yes it will make it a hell of a lot easier to clean and maintain. This is why people do it and why i have a job....

sqm/l rate is a hard one, as a rough estimate any where between 5-6sqm/l for a two coat application should do the trick. It might go to 6-8sqm/l but i would think not much more than that.

Cons to sealing....hmmmmm.....cost, ok understand that otherwise nothing springs to mind, mabe someone else will coment on this.
Purple Butterfly
I'd also like to ask, what is the best sealer to use for concrete pavers?

The manufacturing website doesn't state which product to use it just has this warning.

WARNING: Hydrochloric acid is NOT recommended for use with
Stylestone® pavers as irreparable surface damage may occur.

For you "purple" it again come down to whether your are looking into the wet look or natural look. Again solvent based penetrating will be fine for this paver. If it is a more porous paver you may be able to use water base. The main benifit of this is the fact it can go down on a WET base. Although being in Perth im not sure if that is a concern.

As for the hydro acid definatley stay clear. We manufacture a phosphoric/nitric acid mix product that can be used in its place. This product is used as an "acid" wash prior to sealing without the harmful effects that hydrochloric acis cause. HOWEVER, make no mistake, if you use it incorrectly you can still burn the pavers as its still an acid base. It is also very good against any grout haze that may need to be removed.

Hope this clears up a few things.
For all your sealer needs visit *** quality Australian made sealers that are safe and very very competitive in price. There Penetrating Sealer was used on the M5 motorway in sydney
NSW

Rex
Getting our driveway paved in 2 weeks using Reconstituted Limestone pavers (Bonita) and wondering what the best sealer would be to use.

We don't want a glossy driveway and we don't want to see tyre marks

I would prefer solvent based, but there seems to be a lot of water based sealers out there.
Anyone had experience with KLEN products?

Cheers
Hmmmmm...three posts and all promoting Elite Coatings without giving specific information....have you used them and just love them, bought shares or is there something else to all this
Related
17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

19/11/2023
Expertise on keeping large pavers in place driveway

Renovation + Home Improvement

Appreciate that Chippy. I won’t do sand under pavers and will connect all up under pavers, however I was going to do: 1) Roadbase compacted with manual hand tamper 2)…

22/12/2023
Low Deck Build - Tuff Blocks on pavers

Outdoor Living

Those span tables can be pushed a little for a low deck if you dont mind a little flex. Last deck I did, I pushed it a little and it was still rock solid - no noticeable…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum