Join Login
Building ForumPaving & Concreting

White concrete?

Page 1 of 1
http://users.tpg.com.au/nklobouc//Columns.pdf
http://users.tpg.com.au/nklobouc//Columns2.pdf

Above are the plan and elevation views of the columns that the architects proposed that we have built around our courtyard.
They originally specified a brick pier made from whitish coloured bricks, with the inside of that pier filled with concrete and a couple strands of reo.
The engineers have come back to them and said to get it to work we will need to make them 600x600.
That wont happen, we wanted a small pier and a 600x600 pier belongs in a shopping centre car park.

Now instead of making a poured pier with bricks around it (still a large option) we have been told that they can make light/white/sandy coloured concrete.
I think we seem them on things like war memorials and stuff like that.

Question: Is is a lot more difficult to do than say pouring a normal pier?
We like the look of the light coloured concrete (google image search) and would compromise with having a nice finish/colour on the concrete.

Are we up for any extra expenses related to having a normal concrete pier.
Also, for information the concrete piers are holding up a concrete beam(formed on site?).
Probably form and pour white without much issue?
Just up the cement ratio.
I hope it's not much of one.

Class 1 concrete finish required.
Reinforcing.
White sand.

Our family friend owns a large concrete form work company here in Brisbane, we are going to visit some sites that have used that finish and colour of concreting to see what it actually looks like before we get it done. Also they want square corners not the angled ones that you normally see on a concrete post. Apparently they will use a very small piece of rubber or silicon with a radius corner.
Yep the radius is so the corners finish better

and for safety
Well as of yesterday that idea just got thrown out the window.
The aggregate in the mix will no doubt expose and show marks down the side of the columns, we don't want to have to slurry the whole thing.
Too commercial, so we are doing them in blockwork and will render. It's a bit cheaper too!
Nathan SteelFab
Well as of yesterday that idea just got thrown out the window.
The aggregate in the mix will no doubt expose and show marks down the side of the columns, we don't want to have to slurry the whole thing.
Too commercial, so we are doing them in blockwork and will render. It's a bit cheaper too!

The aggregate shouldn't expose at all. and as long as its properly vibrated you shouldn't have to slurry anything.

Blockwork and render is the cheapest and easiest option though in your case, IMHO.
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

26/08/2023
Dover white or surfmist garage door

General Discussion

Dover white or surfmist garage door. I am having trouble choosing a garage door. The outside of house will be tranquel retreat. I want it to all blend nicely however I…

You are here
Building ForumPaving & Concreting
Home
Pros
Forum